"left" and "right" sides of glacier boundaries

Bruce Raup braup at nsidc.org
Fri Feb 25 09:07:09 MST 2005

Hmm, I think there is a bit of confusion about what we're talking about.
The issue is not what's on the left and right of the glacier, but rather
what's on the left and right of pieces of the outline.  I agree that it's
important to follow existing conventions, but I don't this the
hydrological one is the right one to use here.  For example, let's say one
segment of an outline is labelled "terminus".  Its elevation profile might
be U-shaped, so what would the hydrological convention say is "left" of
that boundary?

Since writing this, I've received notes from Hugh Kieffer (below) and
Graham's, sent to the list.  So excuse the overlap.

I agree with Graham that interior polygons (polygons around nunataks)
should be the opposite direction from the glacier outline, for the
area-calculation reasons he gave.  Enhancing GLIMSView to do this ordering
(if we agree on the conventions) would be great, but I've also already
implemented most of this functionality in the ingest software (which
I needed to do for other reasons).

More comments?

Bruce