GLIMS dataset formats

Luke Copland luke.copland at ualberta.ca
Mon Mar 18 12:07:18 MST 2002

Hi Bruce et al.,

> 1.  Would anyone object to scrapping the Parameter Value Language file and
>     instead using shapefiles to transfer attribute data (see Feb 22 mail)?
>
> 2.  If you think doing the above is a good idea (or a bad one), please let
>     me know your vote.
>
> 4.  Luke:  Since it was your suggestion to use shapefiles for all
>     attributes, do you have ideas about how to improve the scheme I
>     outlined in my Feb 22 message?  Maybe you could add detail?

...as I mentioned before, I believe that it will be easier to keep all
the attribute data in shapefiles. The shapefiles are explicitly designed
for this purpose, and most spatial database software is already set up
to handle and interrogate these (e.g., ArcIMS, which is what we use
here). As Bruce mentioned in his Feb. 22 email, I'm envisaging that most
information would be contained in the per basin/glacier shapefile
(length, area, name, RC details, etc.). Although the RC details will
remain the same or very similar between many different basins, it should
be a simple process of copying and pasting this information between
shapefiles.
	As for elevation and velocity information, it would seem to make sense
to keep this information in the shapefile attribute tables if it is from
just a few points (in the form x,y,z). However, if the data is gridded
and covers the entire basin, then keeping it in (e.g.) a geotiff file
would be easiest (with a similar filename prefix as the shapefile and
'mugshot' of the basin).
	In basins where there is individual segment information, then obviously
the small amount of information that pertains to individual segments
(e.g., material on either side) would be stored in that segment table.
	I was hoping to have some of our glacier basins and mugshots online by
now to show you our line of thinking, but I'm still waiting for a newly
ordered server to arrive and our GIS technician to get ArcIMS fully up
and running. Once this is done, I'll distribute the URL of the site.
	I'm keen to hear other people's thoughts and experiences.

Cheers,
Luke.

--
Dr. Luke Copland
Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences

Tel: 780 707 5583, Fax: 780 492 7598
luke.copland at ualberta.ca, http://arctic.eas.ualberta.ca/luke