Next GLIMS workshop; other meetings

Jeffrey S Kargel jkargel at usgs.gov
Tue Dec 18 16:18:22 MST 2001

Dear GLIMS colleagues and associates,

The next GLIMS workshop will be held in association with the IGS Sym-
posium, "Physical and Mechanical Properties of Ice in Relation to
Glacier and Ice Sheet Modeling."  The GLIMS workshop will take place
over 2 days before or after the symposium; possibilities include Aug.
22-23 or Sep. 2-3, but dates and exact meeting venue have not been set.
I will soon have more logistics, but I wanted to give you a "heads-up" so
 you can prepare IGS abstracts.  For more information on the IGS
symposium, see:  http://www-lgge.ujf-grenoble.fr/igs-cham2002/
    Where: Chamonix-Mont Blanc, France
    IGS Symposium dates: 26-30 Aug. 2002
    Abstracts due: 31 January
    Papers due: 24 June

I also bring your attention to the upcoming IGARSS meeting
( International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium),
which Barry Goodison has pointed out will have a dedicated session for
snow and ice monitoring.  If interest merits we can hold a GLIMS dinner,
either an informal social event or a working dinner.
    http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/grss/igarss.html
    Where: Toronto, Canada
    When: 24-28 June, 2002
    Abstracts due: 4 January
    Papers due: 22 March

Finally, I should mention that there has been some interest expressed in
holding some sort of GLIMS lunch or dinner at the upcoming Yakutat meeting
on fast glacier flow (10-14 June), which I expect to attend but probably
no other GLIMS people from NSIDC or Flagstaff will.

If you have interest in attending a GLIMS component of any of these
meetings,
or if you have recommendations, please inform me.  As I mentioned, I will
soon be forwarding some more specific logistic information on the GLIMS
workshop in Chamonix (now is definitely the time to offer any guidance
on that).

Sincerely,

Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey