IGARSS'02 Invite

Barry.Goodison at ec.gc.ca Barry.Goodison at ec.gc.ca
Wed Dec 5 14:17:05 MST 2001

Hope that some of you will be able to take advantage of this invitation for
IGARSS'02.  Note Jan 04 deadline for abstracts. Thanks Barry.

	You may be aware that Canada is hosting the IEEE IGARSS conference
from
June 24 to 28 2002 at the Westin Harbour Castle in Toronto. I am a member of

the Organizing Committee and we are making every effort to highlight snow
and
ice, or cryosphere remote sensing - a natural thing for us to want to do!
One
of the topics that has been identified for an invited session at IGARSS'02
is
snow and glacier monitoring.  I have been asked to organize this session,
which is listed as Session code "A.34 Snow&Glacier monitoring" in the list
of
topics identified in the "Call for Papers" (which can be viewed at the
following website:

http://www.igarss02.ca/Authors/IGARSS02CallForPapers2.pdf)

	GLIMS is a logical component for this session. I am inviting you as
GLIMS member to submit an abstract to be considered for the session. The
oral
session is limited to 10 papers (and there is a snow part!).  If we get
more,
I will have to make a selection at the technical meeting in February.  I am
hoping that we will have flexibility in creating another session (never a
guarantee of course) and/or that we can place overflow into a poster
session.
If we get less than 10, we will fill with general submissions. I also
realize
that many of you will have interests in other topics at the meeting.  This
is
an opportunity, however, to highlight GLIMS advances. IGARSS is the premier
international remote sensing conference and we are expecting 1200 attendees.

Last July in Sydney for IGARSS'01, they expected 800 and had 1600 abstracts
with 1200 attending.

The deadline for submission of IGARSS'02 abstracts is January 4, 2002.
The instructions for abstract submission are outlined below. I must file the

complete session order at this deadline, so that general submissions may be
used to fill any remaining open positions. Therefore, I must ask that this
deadline be met. The IGARSS'02 conference website (www.igarss02.ca) provides

up-to-date information about the conference. An email to me saying you are
submitting would be appreciated as well.

Abstract submission instructions for inclusion in the Snow and Glacier
Monitoring (Session Code: A.34) Invited Session:

Submit your abstract directly to IEEE GRSS via the link at the
conference website (http://www.igarss02.ca/Authors/authors.html).  You
should
upload your abstract into topic area A.34.

By entering a copy directly into the on-line database, you will be able
to access the latest information regarding your submission 24 hours a day.

Finally, I have been reminded to inform you that each presenter in an
invited session is required to meet all program deadlines and fees,
including the Program Deposit Fee ($250.00) due 22 March 2002 in order to
remain on the final program schedule; this deposit will be credited toward
the presenter¹s full registration.  Due to the number of invited speakers,
we are not able to offer complimentary registration.  Please note that
early registration ends 10 May 2002.

If you require travel assistance, you are encouraged to download a travel
support application from the conference website at www.igarss02.ca.
Complete and return the application directly to IEEE GRSS no later than 04
January 2002 for consideration.  You will be notified by the end of
February whether or not travel funds have been granted.

Following is an outline of deadlines for your reference:

04 Jan 2002     Abstract Submission Deadline
                 Travel Support Application Due, if applicable

22 March 2002   Program Deposit Due; Full Paper Submission Due

10 May 2002     Early Registration Deadline

Thank you for your careful attention to each of these items.  Please do
not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. This is a
great venue for a meeting, and an opportunity to highlight what the snow and

ice community is doing in remote sensing!

Thanks for your consideration to this invitation

Barry Goodison

**********NOTE NEW HOME EMAIL EFFECTIVE NOV 22 2001*********
Chief, Climate Processes and Earth Observation Division
Climate Research Branch
Meteorological Service of Canada
4905 Dufferin Street
Downsview, Ontario
Canada  M3H 5T4

Tel: 416-739-4345        Fax: 416-739-5700
email: Office: barry.goodison at ec.gc.ca
            Home: barrygo at rogers.com