AGU Special Session, GLIMS meeting of opportunity

Jeffrey S Kargel jkargel at usgs.gov
Tue Jul 17 13:13:51 MDT 2001

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

Shawn Marshall has informed me that a proposed Fall AGU  special
session, "Glacier change: rates and resolution," has been approved.
This is not a GLIMS session per se, but I hope that luck will have it that
many of you plan to attend the Fall AGU meeting (to be held in
San Francisco, as usual) anyway and that you will consider submitting an
abstract to this or another snow-ice-cryosphere session.

Subtopics of the aforementioned special session may include:

   Rates of change discerned from remote sensing measurements made at
   differing resolution, spatial, and temporal scales.

   Comparison of aerial photography with satellite remote sensing.

   Remote sensing results compared to results of reliable, high-resolution
field studies.

There will soon be an official AGU/IGS notice of this and other related
glacier and
cryosphere-oriented special sessions.  I believe this will be a great AGU
for snow
and ice topics, so if you're on the fence about attending, please stay
tuned for more
information about this meeting.

Depending on the number of GLIMS attendees at this meeting, we may have
an informal dinner (NOT as hectic/fast paced as the Maryland meeting, I
promise!)
or evening breakout where the topic will be technology issues, such as
any problems you may be having in accessing or using ASTER data.

FYI, I include some key dates for the Fall AGU meeting:
   August 30, 2001, deadline for receipt of the Postal/Express Mail
Abstracts.
   September 6, 2001 1400 UTC, deadline for receipt of the Electronic
Abstracts.
   November 9, 2001, deadline for pre-registration and housing.
   December 10-14, 2001: 2001 AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco.

For more information, watch the AGU meetings site:
http://www.agu.org/meetings/.

Please circulate this notice to others who may be interested, though let
Shawn or
somebody at AGU post a notice on the IGS bulletin board.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey S. Kargel
U.S. Geological Survey
2255 N. Gemini Dr.