NOAA@NSIDC is pleased to announce that the Near-Real-Time NOAA/NSIDC Climate Data Record of Passive Microwave Sea Ice Concentration, Version 2 data set, accessible through the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) is now available. The main changes in this new version are:
- NSIDC-produced daily and monthly NASA Team (NT) and NASA Bootstrap (BT) variables are included.
- Four variables in the daily files and four variables in the monthly files have been renamed.
- Gap filling implemented using spatial and temporal interpolation. Two new flag variables indicate when interpolation has been done.
- Arctic pole hole filled by spatial interpolation.
- NSIDC’s BT algorithm updated to version 3.1.
- Updated the NASA Team weather filter threshold for the Southern hemisphere instruments.
- In addition to the BT weather and land spillover filters, the NT filters are now also applied.
- Individual land masks have been merged into one composite land mask.
For further details on all these changes, we recommend reading NSIDC Special Report 20.
Access to the Version 2 data and documentation is provided on the data set web page at NSIDC.
Data Set DOI: https://doi.org/10.7265/tgam-yv28