When are the IceBridge data collected? What is an IceBridge data campaign?
The IceBridge project was initiated in order to fill a gap in the satellite record after ICESat stopped operating and before the launch of ICESat-2. The IceBridge data collection started in 2009 and will continue until approximately 2017.
The data are collected:
- Seasonally over an approximately 3-month time span each year, called a campaign
- During March through May for the Arctic campaigns
- During October through December for the Antarctic campaigns
- Via instrumentation attached to the body of an airplane
- Over areas near to the poles that are experiencing accelerated change