[GLIMS] Proposed changes to GLIMS database and download

Bruce Raup braup at colorado.edu
Fri May 10 09:27:26 MDT 2024

Hello all,

I have begun a project to simplify the GLIMS Glacier Database.  The new
design will be more closely aligned to how people actually use (and
contribute) GLIMS data.

One major change will be the representation of nunataks (rock outcrops or
mountains that are internal to a glacier boundary).  Since the start of
GLIMS, we have stored them as separate polygons so that they could be
attributed separately; they are tied to the glacier boundary polygon by
shared glacier ID.  However, common practice in the community (including
the RGI) is to represent nunataks as "holes" in the glacier boundary
polygon.  In the  new version of the database, we will represent nunataks
as holes in the glacier polygons.

As part of this, we propose to simplify GLIMS data download, so that the
old GLIMS data model (nunataks as separate polygons) will no longer be
an option.

FEEDBACK REQUESTED:  If you use the "GLIMS data model" when downloading
GLIMS data, please let me know, and tell me why it's important to you.  Or,
if you are fine with the "GLIMS data model" going away, I'd like to hear
that too.

I hope everyone is enjoying spring, or autumn.

Best regards,
Bruce

--
Bruce H. RAUP