[GLIMS] David Breashears, RIP

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 17:56:46 MDT 2024

Dear GLIMS colleagues,
I am sad to report that David Breashears has passed away. I appaend a link to an Outside Magazine (online) article, where the family has broken the news.

I did not know David personally aside from an intensive email and photo file transfer in the aftermath of the Gorkha Earthquake in 2015, and then some later discussions. He was a coauthor of the 2016 GLIMS-relevant SCIENCE paper on the Gorkha quake's secondary processes, especially landslides, and also about effects on glaciers. Many of you are coauthors as well. David provided a spectacular and absolutely horrific before-and-after photo pair of Langtang Valley from the same vantage point.

More famously, he produced two incredible films about Everest, which he summited multiple times. Through his company GlacierWorks, David was very influential in educating the global public about climate change and its impacts on glaciers.

RIP, David Breashears

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/everest/david-breashears-dies/
[https://cdn.outsideonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Breashears11-1024x576.jpg?width=1200]<https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/everest/david-breashears-dies/>
American Mountaineer and Filmmaker David Breashears Dies at Age 68<https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/everest/david-breashears-dies/>
The pioneering climber and documentarian helped millions of people worldwide learn about Mount Everest and the Himalayas
www.outsideonline.com