[GLIMS] GLIMS updates 2021-09-28

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Tue Sep 28 11:36:44 MDT 2021

Dear GLIMS Colleagues,

I hope you are all doing well.  This mailing list has been fairly quiet the
last few months, but a lot of GLIMS-related work has been happening.  Here
are some GLIMS updates:

- [DAAC]  As you may know, GLIMS (Global Land Ice Measurements from Space)
   at NSIDC (National Snow and Ice Data Center) is now an official product
   of the NASA DAAC (Distributed Active Archive Center).  This means,
   hopefully, more stable funding for GLIMS, but also there are some changes
   due to DAAC requirements.

     - Some DAAC "branding" has been added to the GLIMS web pages;

     - An "Earthdata Login" will be required to download GLIMS data,
       starting in couple of weeks.  You can create an account here:
       https://urs.earthdata.nasa.gov/

     - These is a new GLIMS User Guide, aimed at end-users of GLIMS data,
       available from the GLIMS product "landing page", at
       https://nsidc.org/data/nsidc-0272

- [INGEST] GLIMS data ingest in the last 12 months:
     - southern Norway
     - Iceland and Jan Mayen from RGI6
     - Jan Mayen from 2002
     - Ellesmere Island
     - Kamchatka Peninsula
     - Pyrenees

     There is a sizable backlog in the queue, which I hope to ingest in the
     next 2-3 weeks.

- [RGI] GLIMS and the RGI (Randolph Glacier Inventory) working group have
   been working closely together to automate the GLIMS->RGI workflow and to
   push toward version 7 of the RGI.  Expect further announcements later
   this Autumn.

- [SATELLITE DATA]

     - Yesterday (2021-09-27), Landsat 9 was launched from Vandenberg
       Air Force Base in California.  It is similar to Landsat 8.
       https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/landsat-9/landsat-9-overview

     - SPOT data are now available for free, with registration, at L1A level
       (radiometrically corrected but not geometrically corrected).
       https://regards.cnes.fr/user/swh/modules/8
       Contact Etienne Berthier for more information.

Many others in the community -- too many to list individually -- have been
creating or improving glacier data and contributing them to GLIMS.  We are
grateful for all this valuable work!

Questions can be sent to the list or to me directly.

Best regards,
Bruce

--
Bruce H. RAUP