[GLIMS] Special rock glaciers

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue May 5 15:56:18 MDT 2020

Dear GLIMS folks,
I am not sure whether this attachment will go through to the GLIMS list. I prepared this
to address an issue that has arisen many times in GLIMS discussions over the past 20 years, including at today's GLIMS/RGI virtual meeting. A question was raised "Is a rock glacier a type of glacier?" There are different views, and as of today's meeting it became
much more of an academic point, as it was reconfirmed that rock glaciers will be included
in the GLIMS database. (This is as it has been for quite a few years, but the matter keeps coming up).
This presentation gives my views on the matter, and it also provides a schematic concept
that can be put to use. Maybe not now in the GLIMS database, but whenever the detailed
dynamical characteristics and rock-ice composition of glaciers comes up in research.
Cheers,
Jeff Kargel