[GLIMS] GLIMS Book Update

Jeffrey jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 06:41:39 MST 2014

Dear GLIMS book authors:We are expecting the first set of corrected proofs by end of this week. I have publisher permission to make all chapters available to all authors. We will have a very short period to undertake a final proofreading. As mentioned, at this stage we are not looking to improve the book at all except to identify and eliminate typographical errors, copy editing errors, and factual errors.  There should be very few of these; corrections must be minimal and rapid. Although we will make available all chapters to all authors, and all authors are urged to look everything over as their time permits, I definitely do not want a deluge (or even a trickle) of trivial corrections and wordsmithing.  I and Greg Leonard will proofread the entire book, but hopefully lead authors can proofread their chapter.
The publisher wil make available e-books for every author (I am not exactly sure what that means--the whole book, or the author's chapter?).  The Supplemental Online information will be hosted on a Springer server.
Publication will take 6-8 weeks following return to the publisher of the final corrected proof, so it now depends on how rapidly we are sent the proofs. It appears likely that April will be publication month.
We will receive a large consignment of books for distribution to authors.  However, there will not be enough for every coauthor to receive a copy, as we pointed out from the start of this project.  For sure every lead author will get a copy, and then each chapter will be allotted from 0 to 2 additional copies for the lead author to distribute.    We will be as fair as possible given the limited number of printed copies we receive gratis. There will be an author discount for additional purchases, but I am not sure how much of a discount vs. what you can get on Amazon.com or other outlets.
Greg Leonard might be confirming postal mailing addresses for some lead authors. We cannot have PO Boxes, but rather standard mailing addresses with no ambiguities about point of delivery.

Jeffrey S. KargelDepartment of Hydrology & Water ResourcesUniversity of ArizonaTucson, AZ 85742  USAEmail(1) jeffreyskargel at hotmail.comEmail(2) kargel at hwr.arizona.eduMobile phone: 520-780-7759www.glims.org