[GLIMS] Summary statistics on GLIMS database now more available

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Fri Nov 15 15:08:11 MST 2013

Hi all,

I've added new statistics to the bottom of the Data Access page for glims,
at

http://glims.colorado.edu/glacierdata/

These are generated on the fly, so please be patient when the page is

Some of the numbers are different from summary stats I sent to this list a
few months ago, due to previously not taking into full account the
multi-temporal outlines for many of the glaciers.  The effect was larger
than I thought.

As of now (after the ingest of the New Zealand glaciers), the numbers are:

Number of outlines (snapshots)	122414
Earliest analysis is dated	1870-01-01
Most recent analysis is dated	2011-09-08
Number of glaciers	117201
Area of glacier coverage (latest snapshot), km2	420859
Number of glaciers with multi-temporal coverage	3403

I apologize to anyone who has to revise these numbers in any other report,
poster, presentation, etc.  The numbers are still affected slightly by a
bit of double counting in Alaska, but they should now be much closer to
the truth.  The ID assignment problem in Alaska will be fixed in the next
few months, I'm hoping.

Best regards,
Bruce

--