[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: Last call for DVD supplement materials for GLIMS Book

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 04:21:57 MST 2013

Dear GLIMS book authors,
Bruce Raup (braup at nsidc.org) will organize materials for a supplemental DVD for the GLIMS book.  We have documents from some of you, but now we issue a "last call" for supplementary documents-- field photos and videos, ultra-high-resolution versions of your chapter graphics, powerpoint presentations, databases, algorithms, etc.  This material will remain the intellectual property of the contributors, will not be copyrighted by Springer, will not be reviewed (aside from basic suitability for the DVD), but simply will be organized by Bruce, burned on the DVD, and stuffed into the book (Springer will provide a pocket in the book).  The identity of contributors will be indicated of course, but other than that we will not be customizing documentation for your contribution; you should provide such documentation, if needed.  DVD contributions already provided to me or Greg Leonard will be transferred to Bruce Raup, so you do not need to re-send.  We cannot accept any materials where a copyright prohibits reproduction (e.g., a copyrighted journal article or a copyrighted figure in a book). The publisher of this book will permit your figures to appear at high resolution in the DVD, but not your full chapter.  DVD materials may be citable (generally to be regarded as one does gray literature) by the name of the contributor along with the book citation.
If you wish to have your chapter's figures burned at full resolution (whatever you provided), you must indicate your approval.  Our concern is to be sure that graphics that may have copyright waiver for limited reproduction in the book pages are not inadvertently reproduced also on the DVD against copyright.
Bruce needs to receive your contributions (or approval to burn full-resolution chapter figures) by March 15 in order to be sure that it will be included on the DVD.
Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel