[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: Himalayan/Karakoram glacier science and media coverage

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:32:04 MDT 2012

Dear all,
I want to draw your attention to a review paper out late last week in SCIENCE on changes affecting glaciers in the Himalaya and Karakoram region, by Tobias Bolch and coauthors (with several GLIMS coauthors, I being one of them).  It's mainly a review, but it also includes some new work. If anybody wants a PDF, ask, and I (or Tobias Bolch, Graham Cogley, or other authors) will send.

Bolch, T., A Kulkarni, A. Kaab, C. Huggel, F.
Paul, J.G. Cogley, H. Frey, J.S. Kargel, K. Fujita, M. Scheel, S. Bajracharya,
and M. Stoffel, 2012, The State and Fate of Himalayan Glaciers, Science, 336, 310-314, and Supplemental Online Material.

This story has played well in the mass media worldwide in the last few days, like other recent scientific accounts of both dramatic changes and comparatively mild ones and counter-intuitive ones in the Himalayan region.   (Most recently, just a couple weeks ago, the paper by Gardelle et al. played extensively in the media). For those of you in the U.S. or otherwise with access to National Public Radio, there will be a story about Himalayan/Karakoram glaciers and the SCIENCE article tomorrow (Tuesday April 24) on their radio show "Morning Edition" around 6:40 ET am (with repeats at 8:40 and 10:40). Later in the day you will be able to hear it on their website, www.npr.org.  Hopefully, they won't be telling the world that global warming is canceled or that we're going into an ice age or some such thing; normally, NPR plays stories very responsibly, and in general, I have noted this in most other media stories about the Bolch et al., Gardelle et al., Fujita and Nuimura, and other recent papers on the topic.Sincerely,Jeff Kargel