[GLIMS] FW: Himalaya & GLIMS dinner, next Thursday night, 6:30 PM, Henry's Hunan Restaurant, San Francisco

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:38:51 MST 2011

From: jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
To: tobias.bolch at geo.uzh.ch; djq at aber.ac.uk; thompson.3 at osu.edu; gcogley at trentu.ca; kaspari at geology.cwu.edu; sabajracharya at icimod.org; d.n.collins at salford.ac.uk; cozy at nagoya-u.jp; hirotonagai at nagoya-u.jp; ssa60 at msstate.edu; 471709 at swansea.ac.uk; doug.benn at unis.no; w.immerzeel at futurewater.nl; gardelle at lgge.obs.ujf-grenoble.fr; adbarker at uw.edu; rotha at carleton.edu; philippe.maisongrande at cnes.fr; cvsangewar at rediffmail.com; ukharit at gmail.com; glims at nsidc.org
Subject: Himalaya & GLIMS dinner, next Thursday night, 6:30 PM, Henry's Hunan Restaurant, San Francisco
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 05:35:15 +0000

Dear all,
The joint dinner for GLIMS & Himalaya groups will take place from 6:30-9:00 PM this Thursday.  Please note that non-Himalaya GLIMS people are welcome; however, the private room we have can take in only 4 more people maximum than have now confirmed.
Venue: Henry's Hunan Restaurant, private banquet room, 110 Natoma Street.  Directions from Moscone North and South: northeast 1.5 blocks on Howard Street to New Montgomery St., turn left/northwest 1 short block to Natoma St; turn right/northeast on Natoma and walk about 30 meters. (Please assure that your listed colleagues have received this venue information)
Current list of participants (In order of confirmation): Umesh HaritashyaBruce RaupJeff KargelHester JiskootGraham CogleyRoger Wheate--call cell phone or hotel with venue informationDoug BennKoji FujitaEtienne BerthierNagai HirotoShrinidhiDuncan QuinceyDorothea StummAndrew BarrettDavid CollinsJosh Davenport (David's grad student)Jonathan BamberTobias BolchMichael Bishop.Andy BushLisaEmily (Andy Bush's student)Rick WesselsAndi KaabLuke CoplandIan WillisTBD:Santiago de la Pena (anybody know his correct email address?)Discussion topic #1: will be Mistakes and distortions in the media: response models (ranging from do nothing, to quietly contacting an author, to urging an Erratum, to writing a response paper and launching a massive media campaign).
Discussion topic #2, stemming from an email from Tom Wagner (NASA Cryosphere program chief), 6 December 2011, to me: "Are we intending to take it [GLIMS] forward into the future? What do we need to do, what changes need to be made, what data added, what questions is it trying to address, what are likely funding sources?"