[GLIMS] FW: Glacier Mass Balance project

Dave Wolfe timberwolf.dave at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 16:12:03 MDT 2011

In my research of ice-marginal glacier dammed lakes across Alaska, reviewing change in over 500 lakes since 1971, there is what I consider a clear (but statistically weakly supported) parallel in the RATE of change in lakes and damming glaciers with the RATE of increase in temperature as meassured at surrounding low-elevation met. stations.

What Wendell is proposing gets at this same concept. For those interested, here is a link to a poster I put together to hint at the idea and stimulate conversation:
http://weather.arsc.edu/Events/AWS10/Presentations/WolfePoster.pdf

The glaciers across Alaska that dam lakes overlap with about 25% of the sample of glaciers studied by Arendt et al such that some of the findings from each study may be extrapolated.
-Dave Wolfe