GLIMS Update, addendum: Columbus GLIMS meeting

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 15 21:36:48 MDT 2010

Dear GLIMS colleagues,
I am reminded about a scheduling issue, which I forgot to point out explicitly, but which unfortunately was not avoidable without loss.  The IGS meeting involves an official excursion, which I myself would have liked to take part in.*
The timing of this August's midweek excursion is the same as the GLIMS miniworkshop.  We were aware that the conflict exists, and I should have pointed it out. Given the rich thematic content and high expectations for the sessions, it was not really possible to identify a clearly less impactful time to schedule the GLIMS meeting, unless it was over a day preceding or succeeding the IGS meeting.  We have successfully scheduled before- or after-dates for previous GLIMS meetings, but we opted here instead for possibly the least deleterious timing during the meeting.  If there were to emerge an overwhelming demand to move the GLIMS meeting date, we would respond accordingly, but at this time Wednesday afternoon seems the logical and least risky choice.
Anyway, beyond offering this explanation, and seeking forgiveness from the field excursion leaders, the important point in writing to you again today is to remind you not to double book your attendance and then have a late cancellation of the field excursion.  GLIMS always has encouraged late add-ons to our program, but in this case, we urge those signed onto the excursion not to make a late change, which would be problematic for those trying to pin down the excursion logistics and budgeting.
Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel
* P.S.  I recall fondly standing on an esker, not far from Columbus, during an undergraduate class field trip led I think by Gunter Faure in probably Geology & Mineralogy 121; it could have been later during Dan McKenzie's Geomorph class-- anyway, ancient days that make for warm, fuzzy memories.  At the time, I was more interested in core formation, subduction tectonics, and giant impacts, and all manner of mega violence done to planets.  However, that singular experience contributed to my later interests in Martian glaciation, and then that came full circle with GLIMS.   Such is the value of a well-rounded education, where the student only gradually learns her or his future path, but the path depends on those formative experiences.  Yes, it should be a great midweek excursion this August!