another cautionary note

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 23:20:53 MST 2010

Dear colleagues,
I am sorry to be sending this email and yet another more urgent cautionary note, but it is necessary in view of recent actions that have been taking place against leading climate scientists and global change research scientists in the U.S., email hackings in the U.K., political upheavals pertaining to climate policy in other European nations, and global change misinformation (or poor information) being spread worldwide.  Consider it likely or possible that your email will be hacked with malicious, malinformed, or conspiratorial intent to do harm.  If one silver lining of a very dark cloud is that we are all more careful in formulating statements to disallow errant interpretations by others, then something good can come of this.  It may be an impossible feat of optimism to say this amidst the foreboding Jonathan Overpeck has recommended what is obvious, but needs to be said again and again:  "Write emails for the front page of the newspapers and to avoid spurious interpretation."

--Jeff Kargel