this is a watershed moment

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:22:28 MST 2010

Dear all,
It probably goes without saying, for those listening to the news worldwide, this is a watershed moment for global change research.  In my opinion, it is doubly important for glacier experts to: (1) work extra hard, with your full creative effort, to assess what is happening to the world's glaciers, whether "your" glaciers are static, wasting, growing, or whatever, and to assess the reasons for changes (if any) as best you are able; and (2) reach out to the media and the public, present the fruits of your good science with the greatest objectivity, and present this work in terms of what it means for real people, now and in our future.  What we do is science for public service; we must rise to the occasion of challenges and obstacles, fair or not, that are placed in our way.  Don't be dispirited, but instead be ever more energized in the recognition that what we do is important.  Reality is out there for all to see, and for us to measure and assess.
Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel