GLIMS Update: working group on ocean-calving glaciers (OCG)

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 15:33:18 MST 2008

Graham,

Thanks for your terminology clarifications, to which I add some process related comments. I will respond here, but it's possibly best to get a list of people interested in these types of glaciers and eventually cut the discussion off from those who are not interested.  But it is a chicken-and-egg issue, as we have to decide what we're talking about, as you point out. So let's settle a couple definitions and why some near-beach glaciers are to be considered by the OCG, and others are not; then people can add their names to a OCG list, and we can save others from undesired mails.

>From the perspective that Bob and Tad framed, I think we're talking about glaciers that have some significant part of their terminus region touching seawater; and in addition, a fraction of those which have some fraction of their tongues floating on seawater.  Because these things are so dynamic in their terminus position, and since some of them make their own land (by dumping sediment), a glacier can easily vary in time between one whose terminus sometimes sits on a beach and dumps icebergs and meltwater on the beach and into the sea; sometimes sits on the ground but is eroded by seawater and dumps icebergs directly into the sea due in part to thermal interactions with seawater; and sometimes has part of the tongue floating in the sea.
In that circumstance, I think it matters which phase a glacier may be in, and whether it has found some equilibrium by sitting most of the time on a beach or by doing the dynamic oscillation (binge/purge; surge/waste); but these are details that don't necessarily knock a glacier off our domain of consideration.

Where I would draw the line to not consider it, would be a land-terminating glacier that happens to advance sometimes and just coincidentally ends its advance on a beach; that would be a rare glacier, as most beach terminating glaciers will be terminating there because if it tries to advance beyond the beach it finds itself bathed in warm water, and then accelerated calving and frontal melting holds it back; that's a special case, but perhaps not uncommon and worth including in this working group's domain.

Another near-beach experience may be effected by a glacier that wasted back from the sea, maybe after a flotation/surging event (or not), wasted far back, but debris mobilized during the surge phase finds itself dumpped preferentially where the glacier front spends a lot of its time-- as the wasting terminus approached the beach and entered shallower water and land; it can make and extend a beach (a moraine or proglacial delta).  Those are all glaciers that are strongly influenced by the big bathtub.  Because dynamical oscillations are so important for many of these glaciers, we ought not eliminate from our consideration glaciers that are temporarily stabilized near a beach.  So occasionally tidewater-calving glaciers are part of the consideration, or ought to be, because they can potentially lose most of their mass during tidewater-calving phases of their cycle.

That said, it points out the limitations of using the current GLIMS database parameters as to terminus type, since it may vary decade to decade.  Of course for sealevel, only global long-term trending is significant, but the dynamic oscillations have to be sorted out to get the trending, otherwise we may get a biased dataset.Peop[le will have to decide whether a dry-land-terminating glacier spends much time in the sea.

Is this sensible?

--Jeff