GLIMS definition of "glacier"

Bruce Raup braup at nsidc.org
Fri Jan 26 14:26:09 MST 2007

Dear fellow GLIMmerS,

Over the past year, beginning in earnest at the GLIMS workshop in New
Zealand (Feb. 2006), we have had several discussions about an operational
definition of "glacier" for the GLIMS project.  I believe the discussions
converged to a pretty workable definition, which is detailed in the GLIMS
Analysis Tutorial, linked from

http://glims.org/MapsAndDocs/guides.html

In order to finalize this definition, I am sending this (overdue) message
to the GLIMS community to ask one last time for comments.  The rest of the
document discusses a number of other issues related to GLIMS glacier
delineation and data submission, and may help to understand the context for
the definition of "glacier" for GLIMS.  I'll incorporate any feedback I
receive by mid-February.

Best regards,
Bruce

--