GLIMS Book

Jeff Kargel jkargel1054 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 20:17:13 MST 2007

Dear prospective coauthors:

Chapter outlines/topics and author confirmations for the GLIMS book have
been arriving. I thank those who have sent them.  The attached outline
(still evolving) has been substantially updated.  Many chapters are still
provisional, and I look forward to confirming these.  I hope to submit the
outline as part of the formal book proposal in 3 days.  The publisher has
been kept abreast of the outline development, and so far there should be no
surprises on his desk when the proposal arrives.

Please note that a subtitle has been added to the book for clarity and
emphasis.  It is incumbent on chapter lead authors to ensure that their
primary focus remains on the topic of this book, noting the added subtitle:
"GLOBAL LAND ICE MEASUREMENTS FROM SPACE: Satellite Imaging of Glaciers."
Every chapter will need to pass the "satellite test."  As you develop your
chapter outline and proceed with writing, ask yourself at each stage: "Is
satellite image analysis foremost either the prime topic of or the prime
analysis tool used in the chapter?"  If the answer is yes, that will be a
necessary element of a decision to accept a chapter.  If "no," then either
the chapter will be rejected (if there is clearly no direct relevance to
satellite image analysis) or it will be sent back to the authors (if the
satellite focus needs to be improved or emphasized over other content).
This book is not about everything we know about glaciers.  However, it is
important that the work presented is well grounded/tested against reality,
which may be accomplished though air photo analysis, field-based
measurements, and lab-based measurements.  Theoretical analytical or
numerical modeling simulations, or image-analysis algorithm chapters are
acceptable if they are relevant to and constrained by satellite and
ground-based data, with a focus on extraction of useful information from
satellite images.  Topical chapters pertaining to databases and other
systematic approaches are needed, but they must have satellite-derived data
in focus.

If you feel that your contribution is not likely to pass the "satellite
test," but nevertheless you feel that it is an important contribution that
would help the book, I suggest that you identify a chapter where your
material might logically fit, and contact the chapter leader about possibly
merging chapters.  Everything--including chapter titles, are still subject
to change by agreement.  However, when the proposal goes out in a few days,
the book outline should resemble the final table of contents.  (Of course
chapters and topics will evolve as writing takes place.) Furthermore, the
page length suggestions are starting to look fairly serious, as we must
limit the size of this book to something the editors and publisher can
handle.  The planned companion DVD will be a boon to authors and also enable
the editors to be ruthless on enforcing page limitations.  If you disagree
with the suggested page allocations (expressed in A4 published book pages,
not manuscript pages), now is the best time to speak up about it.

I would appreciate any further contributions of chapter outlines and author
confirmations, as well as other suggestions.  Confirmed and potential
authors will be contacted directly in the coming hours, days, and weeks
about specific chapters.

Please don't forget about the upcoming IUGG meeting (abstract deadline was
recently delayed into February).  The GLIMS workshop remains slated for 6
July in Perugia, and an optional field trip to Calderone Glacier on 7-8 July
(more details will be sent soon).  GLIMS science talks should be submitted
to the main IUGG meeting (any reasonable session).

--Jeff  Kargel