GLIMS Update: New WG on ASTER Imaging Priorities

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 20:38:59 MST 2005

Fiona et al.:

Thanks!  Good to have this kind of info (your msg below).  Thanks, too, to
many others who have written on this matter.  (Good to know that GLIMS
Updates actually are read; maybe this last couple days will increase
readership!)  For those of you at Fall AGU, please remember that there will
be a miniworkshop tomorrow (Tuesday) at 5:30-9:30 PM at the Hyatt at
Fisherman's Wharf in the Kargel conference suite.  This issue at hand will
be discussed.  Please consider staying afterward for refreshments.

Your synopsis suggests that maybe we can leave imaging open for about July
10-August 10 for Greenland and get most of what we've been getting that is
most useful.  The narrower window would reduce the number of images but
those we get may be better.  If you can suggest other ideas, or take it
subregion by subregion and suggest imaging windows that way, it would help.
But I have a better idea than this quick rush to decisions.

We need a working group, "ASTER Himalayan, Alaskan, and Greenland GLacier
Imaging Negotiations Group" (ASTER HAGGLING), with three teams, one each for
the Himalaya/central Asia, for Alaska, and Greenland/High Arctic.  It
doesn't need to be just GLIMS people, as the ASTER imaging is a wider
community resource.  (This is always true.  We have never yet held a closed
meeting.) We need solid data on ASTER imaging to date: results, failures,
coverage, gaps, success-by-month results, success/failure as a function of
gain settings, coverage by year data, info on other data sources, ideas on
where we need to be in 3 years.  We need a set of users/advocates for that
region.  Each teams needs to make a proposal for a revised ASTER imaging
plan for their team's area; be prepared to haggle and winnow it back. I will
moderate the whole group.  I need a leader for the Alaska team.  Mike Bishop
is hereby volunteered for the Himalaya team.  I need a team lead for
Greenland/High Arctic.  Each team needs team members in addition to the
leader.  Each team puts their best foot forward with the view of increasing
image acquisitions for Alaska and the Himalaya area, and maintaining imaging
for the Greenland/High Arctic area.  I anticipate that eventually Greenland
and Ellesmere imaging will be halved, and that's what I will push for and
probably eventually insist on (unless ASTER Mission Ops gives us a higher
quota.).  But we want that half to have improved quality on average.  And
the increased Alaska and Himalaya region coverage also has to have improved
quality over what has been acquired.

I suggest that Bruce Raup, David Gaseau, and John Dwyer should assist the
entire working group as communal resources.

--Jeff K