GLIMS definition issues

Frank Rau frank.rau at mosel.ipg.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Aug 30 10:24:42 MDT 2001

Hello all,

I want to add a few comments to the ongoing discussion from our point of
view, which is focussed on the Antarctic Peninsula. For us, ice shelves are
important parts of the entire glaciological systems and, as such, they are
among the most prominent glacial features of our study area. The
spectacular disintegrations of the Antarctic Peninsula's ice shelves
(Wordie, Larsen, etc.) since the early 1980ies have drawn public and
scientific attention to them. They are consequently a major objective for
glaciological and climatological research and especially for monitoring
purposes it seems to essential that they are included in the GLIMS
database. Furthermore, as remote sensing techniques offer the only
possibility to monitor their spatial and temporal evolution on a regional
scale, it would be a failure to exclude them. Therefore, I highly
appreciate their integration and their treatment as unitary glaciers in the
database as proposed by Jeff and Bruce. This facilitates direct access to
the information on the grounded and the floating parts of the glacial
systems. Hereby, it evidently would be essential to link the ice shelves
with their nourishing glaciers and vice versa.

For regions with large glaciers and ice sheets (and ice shelves), analysis
of mosaicked satellite imagery is the most appropriate way to derive the
glacier parameters. This should be done by using consistently corrected and
projected image data. In such a case, a simple L/S system based on the
geometry of a single scene is not implementable. Additionally, on large ice
sheets or ice shelves with absent nunataks or permanent coast lines, it
might be difficult to identify a good reference point on the ground and
therefore, a local N/E system is also difficult to implement. We therefore
already outlined our needs for a geodetic system such as Lat/Long, ECEF or
UTM (always with the respective information on the applied datum). Thus,
the final storage of the coordinates in either N/E or L/L with additional
information on accuracy and precision seems to be a good solution for all
users, while image/mosaic processing can be performed by using a local
coordinate system. Concerning the datum and projection which will be
applied for individual image/mosaic processing on the Antarctic Peninsula,
we will follow the recommendations of the SCAR Working Group on Geodesy and
Geographic Information (Lambert Conformal Conic or Polar Stereographic,
WGS84 - probably we can establish a common standard among all Antarctic RCs?).

Best regards

Frank

Frank Rau

Department of Physical Geography