GLIMS feedback as requested

Luke Copland luke.copland at ualberta.ca
Wed Jun 13 12:58:43 MDT 2001

Hi all,
	A few of my thoughts/comments on the email exchange below - Graham's
definition of a glacier makes lots of sense, and will certainly make
their identification easier in areas such as the Canadian Arctic. I
believe that this is an improvement over the original definition as I'm
not a big fan of 'arbitrarily' cutting off tributaries and calling them
separate glaciers as the division is qualitative and open to differences
in interpretation. Bruce's comments that a glacier should only be in one
hydrological basin is a good way of defining glacier boundaries,
particularly on the large scale such as ice caps.
	As Bruce points out, we may ultimately end up with differences in
glacier definition between regions, which really isn't a problem as long
as a future end user can go back and figure out exactly what we've done.
This is where the 'snapshot' images of each glacier in the database can
come in very useful - having an actual satellite image of each glacier
is a whole lot easier to understand (at first) than having a table of
lat/long coordinates. This is particularly true for the public, who may
just be interested in seeing the glaciers which are present in an area
where they are visiting, rather than any of the detailed coordinates.

Cheers,
Luke.

--
Luke Copland			     Office: Tory 3-20
Dept. Earth & Atmospheric Sciences	Tel: 780 707 5583
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E3, Canada     Email: luke.copland at ualberta.ca

http://arctic.eas.ualberta.ca/luke