Proposal for RC --> NSIDC data transfer methodology: Rev. 1.11

Bruce Raup braup at nsidc.org
Mon Oct 1 16:55:49 MDT 2001

Luke,

Thanks for the comments.

On 2001-10-01 15:17 -0600,  Luke Copland wrote:

> 1. Is it worthwhile being able to transfer images in geotiff (*.tif)
> format? These images are georeferenced, so it would make it easier to
> relate them back to the shape files than using non-georeferenced jpg/gif
> imagery. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to store the files as
> .tifs, but convert them to jpg/gifs when requested for viewing on a web
> browser?

I think this is a good idea for satellite or aerial images.  (For images
taken from the ground, JPEG or PNG should do.)  I don't know of a
command-line GeoTIFF to jpg converter, but I'm guessing one can be found.
I'll look into it.  I did notice that the open-source GIS program "GRASS"
will import and export GeoTIFF files.  By the way, GRASS also will read and
write ESRI shapefiles.