Yes! GLIMS sessions or separate meeting in Maryland

jkargel at usgs.gov jkargel at usgs.gov
Fri Nov 10 09:40:07 MST 2000

Dear GLIMS colleagues,

On the basis of incomplete election returns regarding a venue for the next
significant GLIMS meeting, I can say definitively that there will be a
GLIMS gathering during or adjacent to the 4th Int'l Symposium on Remote
Sensing in Glaciology, June 4-8, 2001 in College Park, MD.  Whether we have
a GLIMS session at that meeting and/or a separate 1- or 2-day GLIMS
workshop has not yet been determined.  But I encourage any of you who can
do so to submit an abstract to the Symposium (due Monday, Nov. 13), and
then we can figure out exactly what sort of meeting GLIMS will have.   For
those who actually submit abstracts to this meeting (GLIMS related or not),
please send me a copy or at least a title and authors and whether you
prefer your presentation to be grouped in a GLIMS session.  If there are
enough GLIMS-related papers, I will talk to the meeting organizers and see
whether we might get a special session.

Is a 1- or 2-day pre- or post-Symposium GLIMS workshop a good idea?  I will
hand-count the poll results on this question and issue a verdict. (GLIMS is
not as chaotic a democracy, or even as much a democracy, as we have in
Florida, so it should not take too many weeks to reach a decision.)

There is planned significant attendance by GLIMS people at the Fall AGU
meeting, so we should endeavor to arrange a lunch or dinner if interest
merits.  I will bring with me some early GLIMS results (SPECTACULAR!
Thanks to Rick Wessels, Bruce Raup, Dave MacKinnon and others; and thanks
to ASTER), and we can informally share ideas and problems and perhaps some
pitchers ("jugs" for you Canadians) of beer.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel