This data set is generated from brightness temperature data derived from the following sensors: SMMR, DMSP -F8, -F11 and -F13, SSM/Is, and SSMIS. The data are provided in the polar stereographic projection at a grid cell size of 25 x 25 km. This product is designed to provide a consistent time series of sea ice concentrations, the fraction or percentage of ocean area covered by sea ice, spanning the coverage of several passive microwave instruments.
Northern Hemisphere EASE-Grid 2.0 Weekly Snow Cover and Sea Ice Extent, Version 4
- Temporal coverage was extended to 29 June 2014.
- The projection changed to EASE-Grid 2.0, 720 x 720, at 25.000000 km
- Sensor change over dates:
- SMMR to SSM/I: 1987-07-03
- SSM/I F08 to F11: 1991-12-09
- SSM/I F11 to F13: 1995-05-08
- SSM/I F13 to SSMIS F17: 2008-01-01
- EASE-Grid Land Mask Source: Same as Version 3.1, regridded to EASE-Grid 2.0 (Brodzik et al. 2012).
- Sea Ice data set used: 1978-10-23 to present: Sea Ice Concentrations from Nimbus-7 SMMR and DMSP SSM/I-SSMIS Passive Microwave Data.