- Mark Serreze
- Richard Armstrong
- Andrew Barrett
- Roger Barry
- Mary J. Brodzik
- Jeffrey Deems
- Florence Fetterer
- Shari Fox Gearheard
- Elchin Jafarov
- Siri Jodha Singh Khalsa
- Lora Koenig
- Twila Moon
- Allen Pope
- Peter Pulsifer
- Bruce Raup
- Karl Rittger
- Ted Scambos
- Kevin Schaefer
- Andrew Slater
- Colleen Strawhacker
- Julienne Stroeve
- Lynn Yarmey
- Affiliated Scientists
Postdoctoral Research Associate
PhD, Arizona State University, 2013
Social sciences data management; anthropology; environmental science; human and environmental interactions
- North Atlantic Biocultural Organization Cyberinfrastructure Project
- CLIR Postdoctoral Fellowship in Data Management for the Arctic Social Sciences
Recent Highlights and Upcoming Expeditions
- May 2014: Organized a session on data management in the social sciences for the International Congress for Arctic Social Sciences
- Ongoing: Collaborating with the North Atlantic Biocultural Organization (NABO, pan-North Atlantic), The Nordic Network for Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies (NIES - Sweden), a consortium of Scottish Universities with expertise in climate science (St. Andrews and Edinburgh), and HumLAB (Sweden) to develop interoperable databases to analyze and visualize long-term human ecodynamics across the North Atlantic
- Ongoing: Participating in a collaboration between archaeologists in the U.S. Southwest (The Long-Term Vulnerability and Transformation Project —LTVTP) and the North Atlantic (NABO) to develop comparative research strategies for studying the relationship between ancient people and climate
- Archaeological excavation in the Mývatn region of Iceland in August 2014
- Developing cyberinfrastructure for the Arctic social sciences
- Studying how ancient peoples in marginal environments (including the North Atlantic and the U.S. Southwest) mediated risk to food shortfall and incorporated adaptations to ongoing climate change
- Researching the relationship between soil management and long-term irrigation systems in arid environments, including coastal Peru and the U.S. Southwest
Society for American Archaeology
International Arctic Social Science Association
Global Human Ecodynamics Alliance
Woodson, M. K., J. A. Sandor, C. Strawhacker, and W. D. Miles. 2015. Hohokam Canal irrigation and the formation of irragric anthrosols in the Middle Gila River Valley, Arizona, USA. Geoarchaeology 30(4): 271-290, doi:10.1002/gea.21513.
Torvinen, A., M. Hegmon, A. P. Kinzig, M. C. Nelson, M. A. Peeples, C. Strawhacker, K. G. Schollmeyer, and L. Swantek. 2015. "Transformation without collapse: Two cases from the U.S. Southwest. In Beyond Collapse: Archaeological Perspectives on Resilience, Revitalization, and Transformation in Complex Societies, eds. R. K. Faulseit and J. H. Anderson, 262-286. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press.
Hall, S. J., J. Trujillo, D. Nakase, C. Strawhacker, M. Kruse-Peeples, H. Schaafsma, and J. Briggs. 2013. Legacies of prehistoric agricultural practices within plant and soil properties across an arid ecosystem. Ecosystems 16(7): 1,273-1,293, doi:10.1007/s10021-013-9681-0.
Strawhacker, C. 2013. Historic O’odham irrigated agriculture and colonial forces on the Middle Gila River, Southern Arizona. In Transformations During the Colonial Era: Divergent Histories in the American Southwest, eds. J. Douglass and W. Graves. Boulder, Colorado: University Press of Colorado.
Strawhacker, C., P. L. Pulsifer, and S. Gearheard. 2013. New efforts to ensure the proper management and curation of social science data from the Arctic. Northern Notes Issue 40 (Autumn/Winter 2013).
Torvinen, A. L., M. Hegmon, A. P. Kinzig, M. C. Nelson, M. A. Peeples, K. G. Schollmeyer, C. Strawhacker, and L. Swantek. 2013. Transformation Without Collapse: Two Cases for the American Southwest. In Archaeological Perspectives on Resilience, Revitalization, and Reorganization in Complex Societies: Proceedings of the 29th Annual SIU Visiting Scholars Conference, ed. R. Faulseit, Southern Illinois University.
Nelson, M. C., M. Hegmon, K. W. Kintigh, B. A. Nelson, J. M. Anderies, D. A. Abbott, Katherine A. Spielmann, S. Ingram, M. A. Peeples, C. Strawhacker, C. Meegan. 2012. Long-term vulnerability and resilience: three examples from archaeological study in the southwestern U.S. and northern Mexico. In Surviving Sudden Environmental Change: Answers from Archaeology. J. Cooper and P. Sheets, eds. Boulder: University Press of Colorado.
Nelson, M. C., and C. Strawhacker (eds). 2011. Movement, Connectivity, and Landscape Change in the Ancient Southwest. Boulder: University Press of Colorado.
Larson, K. L., E. M. Cook, C. Strawhacker, and S. J. Hall. 2010. The influence of diverse values, ecological structure, and geographic context on residents' multifaceted landscaping decisions. Human Ecology 38(6): 747-76, doi:10.1007/s10745-010-9359-6