- Mark Serreze
- Richard Armstrong
- Andrew Barrett
- Roger Barry
- Mary J. Brodzik
- Jeffrey Deems
- Florence Fetterer
- Shari Fox Gearheard
- Elchin Jafarov
- Siri Jodha Singh Khalsa
- Lora Koenig
- Twila Moon
- Allen Pope
- Peter Pulsifer
- Bruce Raup
- Karl Rittger
- Ted Scambos
- Kevin Schaefer
- Andrew Slater
- Colleen Strawhacker
- Julienne Stroeve
- Lynn Yarmey
- Affiliated Scientists
Postdoctoral Research Associate
PhD, Scott Polar Research Institute, Cambridge University, 2013
Remote sensing of the cryosphere; glaciology; Landsat 8; LiDAR and elevation change
Recent Highlights and Upcoming Expeditions
- Spring 2014: Developed and taught a course on "Polar Remote Sensing" at Dartmouth College
- February 2014: Participated in a steering group meeting for the International Polar Partnership Initiative (Paris, France)
- December 2013: Along with other fellows of the Software Sustainability Institute, organized a "Software and Research" town hall discussion at the AGU Fall Meeting
- October 2013: Participated in a workshop on grand challenges in the future of cryospheric research (Climate & the Cryosphere Programme; Tromso, Norway)
- May 2013: Assisted in fieldwork studying surface melt on debris-covered glaciers in the Langtang Valley, Nepal
- April 2013: Assisted in long-term mass balance studies at Tarfala field station, northern Sweden
- Estimating supraglacial lake depth with Landsat 8
- Using Landsat 8 to study ultra-cold temperatures in East Antarctica
- Assessing glacier delineation using Landsat 8; application to studying glaciers in north central Asia
- Mapping melt features on debris-covered glaciers in Nepal
- Investigating elevation change of ice in northeast Greenland and the Amundsen Sea sector of West Antarctica
- Working to increase career development opportunities for polar early career scientists
American Geophysical Union (Council Member)
Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (Council Member)
European Geosciences Union
International Glaciological Society
Polar Educators International
Pope, A., and J. Baeseman. 2014. The cryosphere in a changing climate. Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union, 95(15): 128.
Pope, A. (contributing author). 2014. International Polar Partnership Initiative Concept Document. Drafted February 2014 at UNESCO, Paris.
Pope, A., G. Fugmann, and F. Kruse. 2014. Association of polar early career scientists promotes professional skills. Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union 95(24): 204, doi:10.1002/2014EO240004.
Pope, A., and W. G. Rees. 2014. Impact of spatial, spectral, and radiometric properties of multispectral imagers on glacier surface classification. Remote Sensing of the Environment 141: 1-13, doi:10.1016/j.rse.2013.08.028.
Pope, A., and W. G. Rees. 2014. Using in situ spectra to explore Landsat classification of glacier surfaces. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 27A: 42-52, doi:10.1016/j.jag.2013.08.007.
Pope, A., W. G. Rees, A. J. Fox, and A. Fleming. 2014. Open access data in polar and cryospheric remote sensing. Remote Sensing 6(7): 6,183-6,220, doi:10.3390/rs6076183.
Paul, F., et al (including A. Pope). 2013. On the accuracy of glacier outlines derived from remote sensing data. Annals of Glaciology 53(63), doi:10.3189/2013AoG63A296.
Pope, A., I. C. Willis, W. G. Rees, N. S. Arnold, and F. Pálsson. 2013. Combining airborne LiDAR and Landsat ETM+ data with photoclinometry to produce a digital elevation model for Langökull, Iceland. International Journal of Remote Sensing 34(4): 1,005-1,025, doi:10.1080/01431161.2012.705446.
Mukhopadhyay, S., R. P. Ackert Jr., A. Pope, D. Pollard, and R. M. DeConto. 2012. Miocene to recent ice elevation variations from the interior of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet: constraints from geologic observations, cosmogenic nuclides and ice sheet modeling. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 337â€“338: 243â€“251, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2012.05.015.
Baeseman, J., and A. Pope. 2011. APECS: Nurturing a new generation of polar researchers. Oceanography 24(3): 219, http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2011.73
Allen Pope on Twitter, @PopePolar