- Mark Serreze
- Richard Armstrong
- Andrew Barrett
- Roger Barry
- Mary J. Brodzik
- Jeffery Deems
- Florence Fetterer
- Shari Fox Gearheard
- Siri Jodha Singh Khalsa
- Lora Koenig
- Allen Pope
- Peter Pulsifer
- Bruce Raup
- Karl Rittger
- Ted Scambos
- Kevin Schaefer
- Andrew Slater
- Colleen Strawhacker
- Julienne Stroeve
- Jeffrey Thompson
- Affiliated Scientists
Principal Investigator, NOAA @ NSIDC
MS, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA, 1985
BS, St. John's College, Annapolis, MD 1981
Sea ice; applications-oriented remote sensing; data rescue; data set development
- Project manager, Contribution to High Asia Runoff from Ice and Snow (CHARIS): CHARIS is USAID-supported project that promotes scientific collaboration and data sharing while conducting research on science questions that have broad economic and political impact.
- PI, Ice Concentration and Ice Age Products for ArcticCAP: This work has two overarching deliverables: an improved daily ice concentration product and a proxy ice thickness product, both for use in sea ice modeling at the Navel Research Laboratory.
- PI, Managing the SCICEX Data Collection: The SCience ICe EXcercise (SCICEX) program is a collaboration between the U.S. Navy and the marine research community to utilize data acquired by nuclear-powered submarines for the study of the Arctic Ocean. Unlike surface ships, submarines are able to acquire scientifically valuable data regardless of sea ice cover, weather conditions, and time of year.
- PI, Sea Ice Concentration Climate Data Record Sustainment, Enhancement, and Production of Value-Added Products through the Sea Ice Index (NOAA)
- June 2016: NOAA Big Earth Data Initiative funding will allow us to add web services to the Sea Ice Index, and to rescue southern ocean mooring data with the help of collaborators at the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information and the Southern Ocean Observing System, housed at the University of Tasmania, Australia.
- January 2016: With a newly awarded Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) grant to CU-Boulder Libraries and NSIDC, we will complete digitization of NSIDC's glacier photograph collection, and embark on a collaboration that we hope will secure the future of NSIDCs significant collection of analog material.
- 2015: Twenty NOAA@NSIDC data announcements this year included news that 1,200 photographs were added to the Glacier Photographs Collection; the Submarine Upward Looking Sonar product added cruises from 1960, 1969, and 1970; the Iceberg Sighting database added another season's data, and the Sea Ice Index was improved with a new pole hole and weather filter. The filter was the subject of an NSIDC Highlight and was published as a standalone product. The filter is a DAAC product built using a NOAA@NSIDC product that in turn was derived from operational analyses at the National Ice Center. It is a good example of the benefit to research that operational data, and cross-agency cooperation, can have.
- December 2015: Gridded Monthly Sea Ice Extent and Concentration, 1850 Onward was published. This product includes newly available historical data sources and will be used in reanalysis and climate studies.
- July 2015: We published a 4km daily sea ice concentration product that improves short-term forecasts of ice edge position by 40 percent or more.
Florence manages NSIDC's NOAA-sponsored program and serves as the NSIDC liaison to NOAA. The NOAA@NSIDC program includes some of NSIDC's most popular data sets, such as the Glacier Photograph Collection and the Sea Ice Index. The team specializes in documenting and publishing data sets that might otherwise remain unavailable to researchers. Examples include Russian and U.S. sea ice chart data, submarine upward looking sonar ice draft data, and historical Soviet snow data. See News from NOAA at NSIDC for the latest information on data collections.
- International Ice Charting Working Group (IICWG)
- Global Terrestrial Network for Glaciers (GTN-G)
- Southern Ocean Observing System Data Management Sub-Committee (SOOS-DMSC)
- NASA Earth Observatory Advisory Board
Walsh, J. E., F. Fetterer, J. Scott Stewart, and W. L. Chapman. 2016. A database for depicting Arctic sea ice variations back to 1850. Geographical Review doi:10.1111/j.1931-0846.2016.12195.x
Meier, W.N., F. Fetterer, J. Scott Stewart, S. Helfrich. 2015. How do sea-ice concentrations from operational data compare with passive microwave estimates? Implications for improved model evaluations and forecasting. Annals of Glaciology 56(69): 332-340, doi:10.3189/2015AoG69A694.
Posey, P. G., E. J. Metzger, A. J. Wallcraft, D. A. Hebert, R. A. Allard, O. M. Smedstad, M. W. Phelps, F. Fetterer, J. S. Stewart, W. N. Meier, and S. R. Helfrich. 2015. Improving Arctic sea ice edge forecasts by assimilating high horizontal resolution sea ice concentration data into the US Navy's ice forecast systems. The Cryosphere 9: 1,735-1,745, doi:10.5194/tc-9-1735-2015.
Serreze, M. C., F. Fetterer, W. F. Weeks. 2015. "Cryosphere: Sea Ice." In Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences, 2nd edition, Vol 2, edited by Gerald R. North, John Pyle, and Fuqing Zhang, 217–226. New York: Academic Press. doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-382225-3.00365-0.
Yu, Y., H. Stern, C. Fowler, F. Fetterer, and J. Maslanik. 2013. Interannual variability of arctic landfast ice between 1976 and 2007. Journal of Climate, doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00178.1.
Wohlleben, T., A. Tivy, J. Stroeve, W. Meier, F. Fetterer, J. Wang and R. Assel. 2013. Computing and representing sea ice trends: Toward a community consensus. Eos 94(40), doi:10.1002/2013EO400006.
Meier, W.N., J. Stroeve, A. Barrett, and F. Fetterer. 2012. A simple approach to providing a more consistent Arctic sea ice extent timeseries from the 1950s to present. The Cryosphere 6: 1359-1368. doi:10.5194/tc-6-1359-2012.
Fetterer, F. 2009. Data Management Best Practices for Sea Ice Observations. In Field Techniques for Sea-Ice Research. Edited by H. Eicken et al. University of Alaska Press, Fairbanks, 588pp; ISBN 978-1-6022230-59-0.
Mahoney, A. R., R. G. Barry, V. Smolyanitsky, and F. Fetterer. 2008. Observed sea ice extent in the Russian Arctic, 1933–2006. Journal of Geophysical Research 113, C11005, doi:10.1029/2008JC004830.
Stern, H., W. Meier, F. Fetterer. 2006. Arctic sea ice concentration from operational ice charts and satellite passive microwave data. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing.
Selected Data Sets
Fetterer, F., J. S. Stewart, and W. Meier. 2015, updated daily. MASAM2: Daily 4 km Arctic Sea Ice Concentration, Version 1. Boulder, Colorado USA. NSIDC: National Snow and Ice Data Center. doi: doi:10.7265/N5ZS2TFT.
Walsh, J. E., W. L. Chapman, and F. Fetterer. 2015. Gridded Monthly Sea Ice Extent and Concentration, 1850 Onward, Version 1. Boulder, Colorado USA. NSIDC: National Snow and Ice Data Center. doi: doi:10.7265/N5833PZ5.
Underhill, V., F. Fetterer, and C. Petersen. 2014. Arctic Sea Ice Concentration and Extent from Danish Meteorological Institute Sea Ice Charts, 1901-1956. Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. doi:10.7265/N5MP517M.
Danish Meteorological Institute and NSIDC. 2012. Arctic Sea Ice Charts from Danish Meteorological Institute, 1893 - 1956. Compiled by V. Underhill and F. Fetterer. Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. doi:10.7265/N56D5QXC.
Meier, W., F. Fetterer, M. Savoie, S. Mallory, R. Duerr, and J. Stroeve. 2011. NOAA/NSIDC Climate Data Record of Passive Microwave Sea Ice Concentration, Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. Digital media. doi:10.7265/N55M63M1.
National Ice Center (NIC) and NSIDC. 2010. Multisensor Analyzed Sea Ice Extent - Northern Hemisphere. Developed by F. Fetterer, M. Savoie, S. Helfrich, and P. Clemente-Colón. Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. doi:10.7265/N5GT5K3K.
National Ice Center. 2006, updated 2009. National Ice Center Arctic sea ice charts and climatologies in gridded format. Edited and compiled by F. Fetterer and C. Fowler. Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. doi:10.7265/N5X34VDB.
Fetterer, F., S. Wilds, and J. Sloan. 2008. Arctic sea ice melt pond statistics and maps, 1999-2001. Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. Digital media. doi:10.7265/N5PK0D32.
Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute. 2007. Sea ice charts of the Russian Arctic in gridded format, 1933-2006. Edited and compiled by V. Smolyanitsky, V. Borodachev, A. Mahoney, F. Fetterer, and R. Barry. Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. Digital media. doi:10.7265/N5D21VHJ.
Fetterer, F., K. Knowles, W. Meier, and M. Savoie. 2002, updated daily. Sea Ice Index. Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center. Digital media.
Arctic Climatology Project. 2000. Environmental Working Group Arctic meteorology and climate atlas, edited by F. Fetterer and V. Radionov, National Snow and Ice Data Center, CD-ROM, Boulder, CO, 2000. doi:10.7265/N5MS3QNJ.