[GLIMS] NSIDC write-up on "extinct glaciers" tracking in GLIMS

Bruce Raup braup at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 9 09:06:13 MST 2023

Hi all,

Our media person (Audrey Payne) recently posted this story on the recently
added tracking of extinct glaciers in GLIMS:

nsidc.org/news-analyses/news-stories/showcasing-death-worlds-glaciers

We've just begun to add extinct glaciers to the GLIMS Glacier Database, so
if you can add more such data, I would appreciate it!

As the fundamental entity in the GLIMS Glacier Database is the glacier
outline, data on extinct glaciers need to be tied to outlines.  A list of
GLIMS glacier IDs, together with estimated date (or year) of disappearance
and uncertainty in that estimate, would be the easiest to handle.

I hope everyone is having a pleasant Autumn, or Spring.

Bruce

--
Bruce H. RAUP
National Snow and Ice Data Center