[GLIMS] [National Snow & Ice Data Center] Update: Re: Multiple new versions available: Randolph Glacier Inventory - A Dataset of Global Glacier Outlines, Versions 1-6

Frank Paul (National Snow & Ice Data Center) nsidc at nsidc.org
Mon Apr 11 15:14:46 MDT 2022

## Please do not write below this line ##

You are registered as a cc on this help desk request and are thus receiving email notifications on all updates to the request.

Frank Paul, Apr 11, 2022, 15:14 MDT

Dear Mikala

Thank you for the clarification! Indeed, we had more frequent updates in the past, maybe apart from the last one that was published back in 2017. But several things have changed in the meantime and updates will not follow a specific schedule.

Kind regards, Frank

NSIDC User Services, Apr 11, 2022, 9:45 MDT

Dear Frank,

Thank you for reaching out.  So sorry for the mix up. We looked at the past publication schedule and the fact that the RGI group is planning to publish Version 7 this year and assumed that this cadence of publishing a new version every 1-2 years would keep up in the future. When Version 7 is published and we send that announcement, we’ll make sure users know that the data set isn’t updated strictly annually. Thanks for clarifying.

Kind regards,

Mikala

NSIDC User Services
CIRES, 449 UCB
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0449, USA
Phone: +1 303-492-6199
Email: nsidc at nsidc.org
Twitter: @NSIDC

National Snow and Ice Data Center * Distributed Active Archive Center

Frank Paul, Apr 6, 2022, 15:51 MDT

Dear Mikala Beig

Thank you for the note. Just as a correction, your statement 'a new version is published approximately annually' is incorrect. Whereas we certainly intend creating further versions of this dataset, there is no schedule for it.

Kind regards, Frank Paul

On Mar 24, 2022, at 12:35 AM, Mikala Beig wrote:

> Dear Colleague,
>
> All versions (1-6) of the Randolph Glacier Inventory - A Dataset of Global Glacier Outlines are nowaccessible through the National Snow and Ice Data Center Distributed Active Archive Center (NSIDC DAAC). This data set contains a global set of glacier outlines, is intended to provide a snapshot of the world’s glaciers, and includes a single outline for each glacier. It is produced in coordination with the Global Land Ice Measurements from Space (GLIMS) initiative. The data set spans from 1 January 1950 to 31 December 2010 and a new version is published approximately annually.
>
> Access to the Randolph Glacier Inventory and documentation are provided on the data set web pages at NSIDC:
>
> Version 1: https://nsidc.org/data/NSIDC-0770/versions/1
> Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.7265/p9yk-6m11
>

> Version 2: https://nsidc.org/data/NSIDC-0770/versions/2
> Data set DOI:  https://doi.org/10.7265/cc6e-zp12
>
> Version 3.2: https://nsidc.org/data/NSIDC-0770/versions/3
> Data set DOI:  https://doi.org/10.7265/s6rk-h703
>
> Version 4: https://nsidc.org/data/NSIDC-0770/versions/4
> Data set DOI:  https://doi.org/10.7265/bse7-r330
>
> Version 5:  https://nsidc.org/data/NSIDC-0770/versions/5
> Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.7265/gq4p-zz56
>
> Version 6: https://nsidc.org/data/NSIDC-0770/versions/6
> Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.7265/4m1f-gd79
>

> Data Acknowledgements
> Data authors: RGI Consortium
> Data center: NSIDC DAAC (https://nsidc.org/daac)
> Sponsor: NASA EOSDIS (https://earthdata.nasa.gov)
>
> If you have questions, please contact the User Services Office at nsidc at nsidc.org.
>
> Best regards,
> NSIDC DAAC
> User Services

This email is a service from National Snow & Ice Data Center.

[3M7ZEL-9QK9]