[GLIMS] Landsat Next, and Landsat 7 refueling/repurposed mission

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 4 09:06:15 MST 2021

Dear GLIMS colleagues,
This is a small update and also my request for you to do some advance thinking about a couple opportunities that might arise (but no guarantees).
I append to this message some relevant dialog.
First, it appears that we will have a chance to ponder and model the engineering specifics of the added sensor bands near 1 micron. I am most concerned about achieving the best tradeoff between bandwidth and signal:noise ratio; I am not convinced that the current amended plan has the best tradeoff; I'd go for slightly wider band full width at half maximum and improved signal:noise. To make use of the nailed-and-bracketed water and ice absorptions, we need the signal:noise ratio to support the radiometriic fidelity of reflectances in those absorptions. I will give some attention to this.
The second matter is where I am not the best person to weigh in on strongly. There is no guarantee that we will have a voice in the following matter (but if we don't try to exercise our voice we for sure have no voice): There might be a Landsat 7 refueling mission. The use of Landsat 7 after refueling is not determined. So my thinking is--if it is technically possible to achieve a repurposed Landsat 7 mission-- let's help determine it. I don't know the engineering constraints on Landsat 7 pointing and communications. Does the imager need to be nadir pointed in order for the communications system to be oriented correctly? I have no clue. It is indicated in the email dialog below that they almost lost Landsat 7 when they tried a pointed observation. Okay, that aside, what I would like to do is use Landsat 7 to obtain stereo data by flying it in formation with Landsat 8 for that express purpose. The best stereo, I believe, would be if Landsat 7 becomes forward looking, thereby complementing ASTER stereo. That way, the "back sides" of steep mountains could be covered. Let's say that off-nadir will be possible; they just need to get the engineering right so that it doesn't go into safe mode again. A question I have is-- assuming that off-nadir is possible-- how much usefulness would this system have for glacier studies and other mountain studies? Since there apparently will be some kind of satellite refueling mission, the possible choice of Landsat 7 for that might depend on having a good post refueling purpose, which of course could be just to continue that mission as it has been doing since 1999. But my view is that just continuing what it has been doing is not very advantageous, because its data are largely superseded by Landsat 8 and Sentinel.
Are there other ideas about what Landsat 7 could be used for? Shift it in time of day?
I have no idea whether we can have a strong voice in the Landsat-7 discussion, and no solid idea of what is technically possible. I was thinking that if we collectively put in just a little forethought about it, then when the time comes to speak to the Landsat 7 engineers and science team, then we will be somewhat matured in our ideas and suggestions.
--Jeff K