[GLIMS] High Asia’s Cryosphere Session (Fall 2019 AGU Meeting)

Umesh Haritashya uharitashya1 at udayton.edu
Wed Jul 10 17:30:59 MDT 2019

*Apologies for cross-posting. *

Dear Colleagues,

We want to draw your attention to High Asia’s Cryosphere session
and encourage you to submit an abstract at the Fall AGU annual meeting in
San Francisco from 9-13 December 2019.Please consider submitting an
abstract before *31 July 2019 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT*. For more details,
please visit AGU <https://www2.agu.org/fall-meeting>. Click here
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/74940> for a direct
link to submit abstract to our session. A short description of the session
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/74940> is provided
herewith for your information:

*Session Title: “**High Mountain Asia’s Cryosphere: Collaborative research
to address climate, hydrology, geodynamics and hazards*”.

The scope of this session is broad and we welcome all aspects of research
across High Mountain Asia. We especially welcome research highlighting the
collaborative nature of the research required to tackle complex scientific
questions in the region. We have two invited presentations lined-up for
this session:

*Summer Rupper, *University of Utah

*Tobias Bolch, *University of St. Andrews

*Session Description:*

High-mountain catchments play an important water supplying role and are
sensitive to climate change. Yet the monitoring and modeling of such
regions remains a challenge, due to poor accessibility, limited data
availability and the lack of numerical models that address key cryospheric
and hydrological processes in sufficient physical detail. This session
brings together studies that focus on integrating observations, remote
sensing and numerical models with the aim to understand present and future
glacio-, hydro- and meteorological processes in mountainous regions. It
focuses on advances in understanding high-altitude meteorology, feedbacks
between the cryosphere and atmosphere, glacier and snow dynamics, climate
change impacts and the associated hydrological response. The session
welcomes in particular studies that: i) link results from atmospheric
modeling to the high-altitude water cycle, (ii) advance the process
understanding of glaciers, snow and the hydrological cycle, (iii) quantify
hydro-meteorological extremes, and (iv) assess impacts of climate change
using process-based modeling.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us. We look
forward to seeing you at the meeting.

Please pass this information to all interested colleagues.

Best regards.

Umesh Haritashya, Sarah Kapnick, Kimberly Casey, and Jeff Kargel
Umesh K. Haritashya, Ph.D
Associate Professor of Environmental Geology
Dept. of Geology, University of Dayton
300 College Park, Dayton, OH 45469-2364
Phone: 937-229-2939; Fax: 937-229-2889
Email: uharitashya1 at udayton.edu