[GLIMS] [CRYOLIST] Nature article on Landsat

Holt, Benjamin (329B) benjamin.m.holt at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 13 19:46:51 MDT 2018

I am a long term user of SAR imagery for sea ice and ocean studies.  Often SAR data sets have been restricted for use for research by the need to
purchase imagery or via data proposals.  Both situations end with up limited data usage. This is compared with open access SAR imagery where oceanic- and
continental- scale research becomes possible.

I have become a big fan of Landsat8 data and have published both sea ice and coastal oceans papers using the data, including for brightness temperature
and chlorophyll-a derivations. I would never had touched this data if I had to pay for it.

Considering paying for Landsat8 now after is very shortsighted. I suggest that a study also consider the number of scientific papers and usages as well as the impact
to the economy (I heard in a side conversation that this very significant) since Landsat data became freely available.  My guess is that the economic impact would far outweigh any fees.

Yes best line:
- don't charge for Landsat data! Doing so won't make money; it will just kill Landsat.

Ben

Benjamin Holt
Ocean Circulation Group 329B
JPL 300-323
Pasadena CA 91109
O 818-354-5473
C 818-653-2831
benjamin.m.holt at jpl.nasa.gov

don't charge for Landsat data! Doing so won't make money; it will just kill Landsat.

Ted Scambos
Senior Research Scientist
National Snow and Ice Data Center
CIRES, University of Colorado