[GLIMS] Changes of GLIMS leadership

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Thu Jul 2 00:32:42 MDT 2015

Dear all,

I would like to thank Jeff publicly for his many years of work in the GLIMS
initiative.  Regional Center organization, GLIMS workshop organization, and
of course the GLIMS book stand out as particularly notable achievements,
but his work touches on many other areas as well, and I look forward to
continued work with him on the science side of GLIMS.

As Jeff said, the structure of the GLIMS initiative is changing a bit.
GLIMS is alive and full of new energy, and in the coming few weeks more
information will be forthcoming on this topic.  In response to Jeff's
message, I'll take the opportunity to highlight some of the main
activities:

- We at NSIDC are working to merge the Randolph Glacier Inventory (RGI)
   into GLIMS.  The Greenland and Antarctica regions are notable recent
   additions.

- Together with the RGI group (primarily Graham Cogley and Regine Hock), we
   are actively discussing the path of GLIMS and RGI and their convergence
   in the ~2-3 year time frame.

- We are implementing major web application changes at NSIDC, which will
   become more visible soon.  Some of you may already have seen the new
   glacier browser map app at http://glims.colorado.edu/glimsdb/html/
   currently in beta.

- Together with the ESA-funded Glaciers_CCI project led by Frank Paul as
   well as the RGI group, we are adding more data types to GLIMS, such as
   centerlines and hypsometry for every glacier.  We envision new data
   intake processes that will compute these quantities automatically only
   from outlines from a Regional Center analyst.

- GLIMS and NSIDC continue their close collaboration with the World Glacier
   Monitoring Service in support of activities within the Global Terrestrial
   Network for Glaciers (GTN-G).

There are additional changes and technical improvements coming to the
processes of getting data into (for data providers) and out of (for end
users) the GLIMS database, to be described in more detail later (after I'm
back from holiday).

To all on this mailing list, we welcome (and need!) your continued
involvement in GLIMS.  We aim to make contributing to GLIMS clearer and
easier in the near future.

Best regards from Prague,
Bruce

--