[GLIMS] Nepal Gorkha Earthquake "Volunteer" update

Jeffrey jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Fri May 22 21:02:05 MDT 2015

Dear "Volunteers,"I want to assure you that the major issue of proper attribution of NASA Gallery articles has been hammered on every day for about 10 days now.  I have the following encouraging message from NASA... not yet a resolution, but clearly a favorable resolution is being sought, and you may note the possibility for retroactive attribution.
On a different matter, we are entering a period where we are still acquiring a huge number of optical images, but their quality on average is expected to diminish due to premonsoon/monsoon weather. Anywhere from one or two to a couple HUNDRED  are being released daily.  There has never been such intensive imaging of a glacierized region or any alpine region of a natural disaster, and never before has there been such intensive image analysis of a large alpine region on a day-to-day basis.  This has been a historic response, and one that has also had very important practical impacts on relief and recovery missions and ground-based and helicopter-borne scrutiny and landslide-impounded lakes  and avalanche devastation zones.
The analysis contributions are still happening--massively so-- but by a relatively small fraction of the volunteer group.  If you raised your hand to volunteer, there is no pressure to contribute.  But if you were wondering what you could do that is not so pressured as a day-to-day (even hour-to-hour) response, then you could dig into the existing database of identified earthquake-related hazard features, mainly landslides, and scrutinize the feature to validate its likely association with the Gorkha earthquake (either co-seismic or post-seismic).  Or dig into new images.  We are interested in new (earthquake-associated) features and demonstrably reactivated old features.  We now are approaching 1000 features in the database (thanks most recently to a huge infusion of results from the Japanese contingent of volunteer analysts, led by Koji Fujita). We are organized into Areas of Interest and doping systematic work, so please don't randomly search for new features.  You may randomly validate existing database entries, but a systematic approach would help. So talk to us!
It is not to late to contribute.  We are anticipating an extension of intensive analysis activities through the monsoon and into the early post-monsoon.  If you wish to reaffirm your contributory role, please do so and delve into the data.  If you have not been contributing but wish to join, please inform me and Greg Leonard.
FYI, here are some of the NASA articles that have been developed as features of the broader analysis group's work. Generally, the science related to each has advanced quite a bit beyond the initial releases.
--Jeff Kargel

Imja
Lake

http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/nepals-imja-lake-khumbu-region-appears-resilient-against-gorkha-quake