[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: 1) GLIMS Book, 2) request for press info

Jeffrey jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 19:49:55 MDT 2014

From: jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
To: glims at nsidc.org
Subject: GLIMS Update: 1) GLIMS Book, 2) request for press info
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 15:59:41 +0000

Dear GLIMS colleagues
(including some associated with the GLIMS glacier database and the Randolph
Inventory and not necessarily the GLIMS book):

1.  GLIMS Book UpdateSome of you have been
requesting an update on the GLIMS book.  It moved last week from the copy
editor to production, and the chief editor at Springer has promised to
"expedite" publication.  I am unsure what that means, but
at least she is not promising to slow it down further!  I was informed
that normally from this transition point to publication it takes 6-8 weeks.  Until publication, a citation
of an article may take a form like this:

Author1, A.B., C.D. Author2, E.F.
Author3, and G.H. Author4, 2014, Your Chapter Title Here, chapter XY in: Kargel,
J.S., G.J. Leonard, M.P. Bishop, A. Kaab, B. Raup (Eds), 2014, Global Land
Ice Measurements from Space (Springer-Praxis), Heidelberg— printing June
2014. ISBN 978-3-540-79817-0 e-ISBN 978-3-540-79818-7, DOI
10.1007/978-3-540-79818-7, pp Page Range Here (in press).

For example:

Fountain, A.G., H.J. Basagic IV, C.
Cannon, M. Devisser, M.J. Hoffman, J.S. Kargel, G.J. Leonard, K. Thorneykroft,
and S. Wilson, 2014, Glaciers and perennial snowfields of the U.S. Cordillera,
chapter 17 in:  Kargel, J.S., G.J. Leonard, M.P. Bishop, A. Kaab, B. Raup
(Eds), 2014, Global Land Ice Measurements from Space (Springer-Praxis),
Heidelberg— printing June 2014. ISBN 978-3-540-79817-0 e-ISBN
978-3-540-79818-7, DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-79818-7, pp 385-408 (in press).

Please
consult the Table of Contents (available here: http://web.hwr.arizona.edu/~gleonard/GLIMS-00-Preliminary.Matter-FINAL-PROOF.pdf) to verify your chapter's page range.
2. MEDIA EVENT TO INCREASE PUBLIC AWARENESS OF GLACIER SCIENCE/REMOTE SENSINGWe are planning a significant media event to be coordinated with the publication of the book.  We are aiming to develop both global awareness (through global media) of the findings of GLIMS and also local/regional media stories about glaciers in your area of interest.  Our plan is still developing, but we are aiming to have one well-coordinated general press release with a link to a compiled set of "highlights" from the GLIMS book (generally one highlight per chapter, but there is no rule about this) plus similar highlights from GLIMS-related work that was not represented in the book but is represented in the GLIMS glacier database and/or the Randolph Glacier Inventory or published literature.  Generally, a single highlight will consist of a brief title (including location), your name, affiliation, email address, and telephone number, one high-resolution figure (1 panel or 2 related panels, enough pixels for publication in a newspaper or glossy magazine, for instance) and one brief paragraph of text that describes the figure for the media/public.  The figure should be something that would make your local media outlet want to call you to get more information or to just grab the graphic and text and run a story with it.  Then-- all on one page with the text and figure-- also include your name, affiliation, email address, and phone number.  You can also include a URL to your website if there is something of possible media interest there.These one-page highlights will be compiled into one document.  We are exploring different options for how to integrate and present this, whether as a single integrated PDF file or something fancier and interactively explorable.  We only need a few highlights, but if there are a few tens of them, that is not too much.  We will find a means by which to organize them.  IMPORTANT CAVEAT:  I must verify with Springer whether figures can be pulled directly, without modification, from a chapter, and allowed to be used by the media, or whether they disallow this.  If disallowed, it would be necessary to modify a figure or substitute a different one.  I will clarify with Springer, but for now I am assuming that they will be eager for the attention and will permit this; you would want to cite the figure numbers and your chapter of course.  Similarly, if you use a figure that is not from the GLIMS book, then copyright law must be followed-- the figure has to have no copyright, or your copyright, or permission to re-use must be granted (and to allow the general media to re-use it).Send your 1-page highlights by attachment, replying to this GLIMS Update.
--Jeff Kargel

Jeffrey S. KargelDepartment of Hydrology & Water ResourcesUniversity of ArizonaTucson, AZ 85742  USAEmail(1) jeffreyskargel at hotmail.comEmail(2) kargel at hwr.arizona.eduMobile phone: 520-780-7759www.glims.org