[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: Increasing our visibility and outreach

Jeffrey jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 6 13:13:02 MST 2014

Dear GLIMS colleagues,
I would like to increase the visibility of GLIMS in NASA and other funding agencies, the general public, the mass media, and the science community.  Three separate efforts are underway, all still in design phases and still to be approved and officialized, but for one of them I have the go-ahead signal to make an informal solicitation of involvement.
Four recent Earth Observatory (EO) postings-- two regular postings and two associated blogs-- have spurred discussion about how GLIMS could become a more regular contributor to EO.  Details on a specific model to be implemented are still under negotiation, but at a minimum EO is now interested in posting more frequent blogs by outside experts for matters that are covered by regular EO postings.  I relay a request for ideas on articles. Before delving into it, I suggest that you look at couple month's worth of regular EO postings, unless you are already familiar with EO.  Then also look at these two pairs of linked posts, which I was involved with in recent weeks. Neither is foremost a "glacier" story, but it should give you some ideas on what may be possible for actual GLIMS/glacier stories:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=82937http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/fromthefield/2014/01/24/setiriverclues/
http://www.earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=83032http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/fromthefield/2014/02/
Related topics of practical human importance can be discussed in connection to the main story, which must have a beautiful or scientifically compelling Earth satellite observation at its core. It is also crucial that practical matters of importance are discussed with sensitivity to peoples' lives and livelihoods. These can be basic science stories or applied science.  Any time you delve into applied science, there is potential for wandering into a mine field, so take care.   These blog posts must be approved by NASA.  You are free to contact EO directly on your own if you have a story, but if you wear the GLIMS hat-- and I hope you do if it is a glacier story-- I would like to be contacted first with your idea and then again when you have a draft, and I can facilitate its release through EO.  You have an opportunity to provide hotlinks to  other articles and funding agencies (but please pay due regard to copyright law).  You can pay attention to the news-- what people in the wider world are thinking and learning, and see how you can contribute to improved understanding of glaciers and their relationships to the rest of the world. Be careful of the mine fields, and steer away from sensationalism.
My goal is that once a month somebody in GLIMS will contribute material for a regular EO posting (which will be written by EO staff but have links to your work) or blog (written by you or a team, probably in connection with a regular post).
--Jeff

Jeffrey S. KargelDepartment of Hydrology & Water ResourcesUniversity of ArizonaTucson, AZ 85742  USAEmail(1) jeffreyskargel at hotmail.comEmail(2) kargel at hwr.arizona.eduMobile phone: 520-780-7759www.glims.org