[GLIMS] GLIMS2?

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Sat Dec 7 06:36:44 MST 2013

Dear Michael and all,

I fully agree with your approach and the steps you enumerate.  Just a
few notes:

a) Your numbers 2, 3, and 4 are all in process, though of course more can
be done on all of them.

b) I have started creating a way to download the "latest snapshot" from
the GLIMS database, such that one will receive the latest available
outline for each glacier.  In the future this could fill the needs now met
by the RGI.  We could also implement the downloading of other time slices,
not just the latest.

c) Some people prefer the RGI data model, where nunataks are represented
by holes in outline polygons, rather than the GLIMS data model of using
separate polygons for nunataks.  I intend to write code to convert back
and forth between these models.

d) The funding level for GLIMS at NSIDC is currently still rather low.
We're waiting to hear about one proposal in to NASA, and are keeping our
fingers crossed.

Best regards,
Bruce