[GLIMS] Numbers for recent GLIMS ingests

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Wed Jul 31 11:00:00 MDT 2013

Hi all,

Given that there has been some recent GLIMS data ingest activity, and that
some people might be referring to data set sizes in AGU abstracts and other
places, I thought I would send an update on some numbers.  I include
numbers for the Randolph glacier data set as well for comparison.

The current numbers for GLIMS/RGI are:

GLIMS:
Glacier count:  116000
Glacier area (km2):   523000

RGI:
Glacier count:  170000
Glacier area (km2):   737000

So, at present, GLIMS has about 70% of what RGI has for both glacier count
and area.  These numbers are as of about 2 weeks ago, when I added the two
following data sets.  There is no reference for these numbers yet (though I
did update the numbers in the GLIMS book Chapter 7 proof).

New data sets ingested this month:

Western Himalaya (northern India), submitted by Holger Frey
Number of glaciers:     11531
Total area (km2):       10867

Arctic Russia, submitted by Max Koenig
Number of glaciers:     1069
Total area (km2):       51592

Total new glaciers:     12600
Total new area (km2):   62459

A few more are pending and I expect to be able to ingest them soon.

Cheers,
Bruce

--
Bruce H. RAUP