[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: GLIMS Book summary and context chapter (consider citing in IPCC AR5)

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 10:01:12 MST 2013

Dear GLIMS listers (and other colleagues),
In a further response to David Vaughan's call for work that is accepted and in press and related to IPCC AR 5, below is the link to access the GLIMS book (Springer) summary and climate context chapter.   We can add in proof any appropriate references to and brief statements of findings from the 2013 AR5 IPCC report.  The GLIMS book should be in print before AR5 comes out. The summary chapter was written independently of IPCC activities.  If you find any statements that should be rephrased or otherwise modified, let me know, and we can take care of it in proof.  I want to avoid a deluge of changes, so please, just inform me of things that are essential to fix or add, such as critical new publication references and corrections to errors.  IPCC AR5 authors should consider contacting individual lead authors of GLIMS chapters during your final preparation of IPCC chapters.  I will not make any chapters openly available, except this one, though I encourage one-to-one sharing of submittal versions.  The proofs will be subject to the usual publisher copyright.
http://web.hwr.arizona.edu/~gleonard/GLIMSBook_33-Summary-Kargel.pdf
Disclaimer: We highlight a few key results from individual chapters in a best-faith effort to reflect what the authors found.  We also wished to provide a broader interpretive context, and so we may say some things in the summary about your chapter's region that you did not say.  It should be clear what you said versus how we interpret it, but if you see something about which you object, then let me know.
Pre-publication citation for this summary/context chapter: Kargel,
J.S., A.B.G. Bush, J.G. Cogley, G.J. Leonard, B.H. Raup, C.
Smiraglia, M. Pecci, and R. Ranzi, 2013, A World of Changing Glaciers: Summary
and Climatic Context, chapter 33 in: Global
Land Ice Measurements from Space, J.S. Kargel, G.J. Leonard, M.P. Bishop,
A. Kaab, B. Raup (Eds), Springer-Praxis, in press. ISBN:
978-3-540-79817-0/

Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel