[GLIMS] FW: Glacier Mass Balance project

wendell Tangborn hymet01 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 22:12:54 MDT 2011

Dear Umesh,

Thank you for your response to my glacier mass balance proposal.  Your
recently published Encyclopedia of Snow, Ice and Glaciers
is very compatible with this project.  We will purchase it if or when we get
some financial support for the project.

We used Kathmandu weather observations for the article  *Mass Balance and
Runoff of the partially debris-covered Langtang Glacier *(which can be found
on the GlacierChange.org website).  At the time (2000) it was the only
weather station with a complete daily record (1987-1997).  There may be
others now but we have not found any.  The Kathmandu station (1546 m) must
be considered an extremely low-altitude weather station compared with
Himalayan glaciers.  However, it still appears to reliably
represent meteorological  conditions in the Langtang region.  We have
found (in other areas of the world) that low-altitude weather stations often
produce more realistic mass balances using the PTAA model than do
high-altitude stations.  Based on my experiences with measuring
precipitation in mountainous areas, I am certain much of the difference is
due to the difficulty of measuring precipitation falling as snow  at
exposed, windy locations at high-altitudes.

We would like to update the Kathmandu weather records from 2008-present but
have not found a source for this data.  We would appreciate any help you
could give us on obtaining these records.  Historical daily observations of
precipitation and temperature in the vicinity of the Himalayas would also be
of interest.

Regards

Wendell

--