[GLIMS] GLIMS Update: (1) Fall AGU/GLIMS miniworkshop; (2) No-Cost ASTER

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 14:47:52 MDT 2011

Dear all,
Two important items.  First, Fall AGU abstract are due AUGUST 4, in just 5 weeks!  Get your abstracts in!  FYI, I list some GLIMS-relevant cryo sessions below, and deadline information.  We will hold a GLIMS miniworkshop or GLIMS dinner or lunch during the week of the meeting.  I note that many sessions are convened by GLIMS people, so we should have a good core of GLIMS people present even if just the convenors! These GLIMS events are always open to the wider cryospheric community. The GLIMS Book editors and some coauthors will be ready to relax and enjoy, because the book will be in the publishers' hands by then! (finally)
Secondly, there was another round of expirations and relistings of people eligible for ASTER no-cost data.  I did a batch delivery of those requests.  I suspect that it will be midweek next week before they are approved, so there may be a few days' gap in ASTER data availability.   I have Cc'ed each of the people who I sent requests for reapprovals.  If I have missed some of you please accept my apologies but resend to me; or if you have not sent your requests to me for relisting, please do so.
--Jeff Kargel

FALL AGU MEETING DEADLINES

All deadlines are at
2359h EDT

       29 July - Renew or become an AGU member to submit an
abstract with your Member ID

       4 August - Abstract/Town Hall submission deadline

       30 September - Renew or become an AGU member to receive
member registration rate

       1 November - Discounted registration deadline

LIST OF FALL AGU CRYO SESSIONS:

C01 Cryosphere General Contributions

C03 Alaska and British Columbia Glaciers: A Glaciological
Update

C07 Cryospheric Contribution to Sea Level Rise: Current
Estimates and Projections

C08 Documenting the State of the Cryosphere with Climate
Data Records

C12 Glacier Monitoring from In-situ and Remotely Sensed
Observations

C13 Glacier Surging and Ice Streaming: Fast Flow and
Instabilities

C15 In-situ and
Field-Based Measurements of the Cryosphere

C18 Land Ice-ocean Interactions in Greenland and
Antarctica

C19 Measuring and Interpreting Glacier Surface Velocities

C20Modeling of the Cryosphere

C21 Monitoring Changes in Polar Ice Sheets and Sea Ice
Using Airborne and Satellite Remote Sensing

C23 Mountain Glaciers and Their Response to Climate

C24 Observation-driven Modeling of Glaciers and Ice Sheets

C25 Observatories, Instruments, Technologies and Research
Programmes in Polar Regions

C26 Past, Present and Future of Himalayan Glaciers

Hazards (NH)

C32 Remote Sensing of the Cryosphere

C34 Snow and Ice Data Assimilation

C35 Studies in Polar Snow and Firn

C36 Water at the Ice Bed Interface: Movement, Storage and
Signatures

C37 Wind Glaze and Antidunes in East AntarcticaNone

C39 Ongoing Climate Change in the Polar Latitudes as
Motivation for a Proposed International Polar Decade

C40 Nye Lecture