GLIMS Update: (1) GLIMSBook, (2) ASTER talks, (3) Columbus, (4) Mendoza

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 15 13:25:14 MDT 2010

Dear GLIMS colleagues,
This Update contains four items:(1) GLIMSBook, "The End is Near!"(2) ASTER Science Team meeting talk from last week's meeting in Tokyo(3) GLIMS miniworkshop in Columbus, Ohio, August 18 (open to all, whether GLIMS or not)(4) GLIMS Capacity-Building workshop, Mendoza, Argentina (by invitation*)

1.  For those of you with GLIMS book chapters that are overdue, please remember that we are pushing to the end of the extended period where we can accept chapters.  We very much want everybody's chapters, but just like the placard said that was carried by the religious hippie when I stepped out the subway station in San Francisco, "The End is Near."  You may feel free to let me know the status of your chapter, if you have not recently done so.  I, Michael Bishop, and Greg Leonard (three of the five editors) will be out of the country from June 28-July 31, and Andy Kaab (another editor) has an even more special project underway, so during that period please send any chapter manuscripts or critical communications to Bruce Raup as well as copying me and Greg Leonard at least.  Just as an advance note, severe arm twisting and incessant annoying reminders will commence August 1.
2. FYI, our latest ASTER Science Team meeting presentation is posted and publicly available as indicated in Michael Abrams' message below. (along with most previous recent presentations)
Thank you to those who contributed.   It was a 45-minute presentation, and there was a lot of interest in the ASTER Team in both parts of the presentation, including the summary of the GLIMS consortium work as well as the landslide into the Hunza River.  To fit everybody in I had to squeeze down the number of slides, and reformat some of them.  (The version here includes some deformatting that affects what is posted, but the deformatting was not present in what was actually presented.) I wanted to spend a large part of my allotted time to stress the participatory nature of this consortium effort, and several mini-presentations of one to a few slides really helped convey that.
3. As mentioned previously, a GLIMS miniworkshop will be held in Columbus in association with the IGS Symposium on Disappearing Ice.  The GLIMS meeting will be at the Byrd Polar Research Center, in Scott Hall (west Campus) on Wednesday afternoon August 18. Depending on how many people show up for this, we can use the auditorium or one of the smaller rooms.  A meeting web page was set up by Bruce Raup: http://glims.org/Workshops/2010_Columbus/   The broader IGS symposium website is here: http://www.igsoc.org/symposia/2010/ohio/
4. A small but intensive GLIMS workshop will be held in Mendoza, Argentina apparently the second week of November 2010. (There is some recent discussion about the best dates, with one suggestion that January might be better.)  The goal will be capacity building, and thus it will be highly international. It will involve intense hands-on training in image processing (for higher order glaciological data extraction) and DEM analysis methods, and then we will move to intensive training on nearby glaciers in alpine safety/mountaineering and glacier field measurement methods. Our intention is to keep this meeting small, and have both lots of students and lots of instructors, with "student" and "instructor" being the broadest definition having nothing to do with educational status.  We will all be students and all instructors in one thing or another.  This meeting will be by invitation only.  However, if you feel you have a lot to learn, and also much to teach, and you feel you must be at this meeting, please contact me.
Again, please note that I will be out of the country and partly out of internet contact from June 28-July 31.
Sincerely,
Jeff Kargel