4 meetings, abstracts due soon on 3 of them

Etienne Berthier etienne.berthier at legos.obs-mip.fr
Mon Jan 11 07:04:31 MST 2010

In case some /GLIMSlisters /are not /CRYOlisters/.... sorry for
crossposting.
Abstract due 26 February 2010
Etienne

Dear Cryolist Subscribers,

The SPIRIT (/Spot5 stereoscopic survey of Polar Ice: Reference Images
&Topographies/) workshop will be held in Toulouse on *29-30 April 2010*
(http://etienne.berthier.free.fr/SPIRIT/)
<http://etienne.berthier.free.fr/SPIRIT/>.

The aim of this workshop is to present completed and on-going
glaciological researches based on SPIRIT data and share experiences
using these data. Presentations analyzing DEM derived from other
space-borne sensors (e.g., ASTER, ALOS, etc.) over polar and non-polar
ice masses are also welcome. Future ice topographies using SPOT5-HRS,
Pleiades, and also IceBridge, Tandem-X, Cryosat-2, etc, may also be
discussed

Apart from the glaciological talks, time will be also allocated for
presentations by:

    * the French Space Agency (CNES, who designed the Spot5 satellite
      and entirely funded the SPIRIT project),
    * Spot Image (who manages the Spot5 satellite and acquired the IPY
      images) and,
    * the French Mapping Agency (IGN, who derived the DEMs from the
      Spot5 stereo-images).

This a unique opportunity to bring together the glaciological community
with CNES, Spot Image and IGN in order to discuss future acquisitions on
polar (and non-polar) glaciated regions using the Spot5-HRS sensor and
forthcoming very high resolution satellites such as Pleiades.

The workshop will be organized, Thursday 29 and Friday 30 April, just
before EGU-2010 (2 to 7 May in Vienna). You will thus have time to enjoy
Toulouse (http://www.uk.toulouse-tourisme.com/accueil/index_en.php) and
southwest France (Carcasonne, Pyrénées, etc) during the week-end
in-between the two scientific events.

On the meeting website (http://etienne.berthier.free.fr/SPIRIT/)
<http://etienne.berthier.free.fr/SPIRIT/>, you will find some details
about the venue, accommodations and (when available) the scientific
program. A preliminary list of speakers is also available.

If you wish to come and present some results, email me the title of your
contribution before *26 **February 2010*.

We hope to see you next April in Toulouse,

Etienne Berthier, LEGOS-CNRS

*Background about SPIRIT*
SPIRIT (SPOT5 stereoscopic survey of Polar Ice: Reference Images
&Topographies) is an International Polar Year (IPY) project that allowed
a comprehensive coverage of polar ice masses with high resolution SPOT5
stereoscopic images
(http://www.spotimage.com/web/en/1587-international-polar-year.php). For
selected areas, DEMs and orthorectified images have been derived from
SPOT5 images and delivered for free to polar glaciologists.

--

OMP-LEGOS
14 av E. Belin