access to presentations from 2008 GLIMS workshop in Boulder

Bruce RAUP braup at nsidc.org
Fri Oct 30 10:09:31 MDT 2009

Hi all,

I have received the okay from the presenters to send to the GLIMS list the
password to the protected area of the GLIMS Web site.  The presentations
are linked from the workshop synopsis page, at

http://glims.org/Workshops/2008_Boulder/glims_boulder_2008.html

The password can be seen in the image at

http://spot.colorado.edu/~braup/glims_temp/pw.png

Note that the G, I, and S have been replaced by similar-looking numerals.

This issue generated a fair bit of discussion about the pros and cons of
making workshop presentations publicly available.  Some of the concerns
raised are:

- If presentations are expected to be made public, then presenters are
   discouraged from including new ideas or data that haven't been published
   in the literature yet.

- Presentations usually are not complete carriers of the information, and
   without the oral part, the presentation could be misinterpreted.

- Even if the presentation is in PDF format, it is easy to extract images
   and data for use elsewhere (for malicious or benign intent).

In the future, perhaps instead of publishing presentation files, we can
video the presentations and make *them* available.  I think this would be a
good solution to the above concerns.

Lastly, a few people have asked me when and where the next GLIMS workshop
will be.  A couple of possibilities are under discussion, but nothing is
firm yet.  There will be announcements as details get settled.

Best regards,
Bruce

--
Bruce H. RAUP