GLIMS Update: GLIMS+ STARs; attempt to reduce snow saturation

Jeffrey Kargel jeffreyskargel at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 5 16:45:12 MDT 2009

Dear
GLIMS consortium members,

This
message is mostly informational, but those of you wanting

to adjust some characteristics of GLIMS+ images should read

carefully and respond within the next
few days with any changes. GLIMS+ requesters also may wish to review the attached
file for accuracy before we submit this imaging plan late next week for review, approval, and implementation by ASTER Mission Operations.

The
attached file of "GLIMS+ STARs (ASTER Science Team

Acquisition
Requests)" was produced through the efforts of quite

a few
members of the GLIMS consortium.  RC Chiefs and

stewards
contributed the requests based on gaps in existing

ASTER
coverage or special needs for enhanced coverage of high-

priority
areas; I compiled the requests and revised some of them

in
consultation with the requesters; Greg Leonard spot-checked

the
requests for accuracy and produced a text file, with unform

format
(in a few cases combining small-area requests into larger

polygons),
which Bruce Raup then used to calculate the gain

setting
requests.   Please be reminded that in addition to this

supplemental
request, the regular GLIMS STARs (which was

revamped
completely and functioned in 2008 and was updated to

correct
some problems in 2009) are in effect.

We are
trying something new with this set of supplementary

"GLIMS+"
STARs.  The change should result in nonpolar glacier

images
that have much-reduced saturation on snow-covered

equator-facing
slopes.  The gain settings have
been computed

with a
modified algorithm that includes a “slopeshift” term.  As

many
people have noted, even GLIMS-mode images (which are

designed
not to saturate for horizontal snow-covered surfaces)

commonly
include significant saturation if slopes angle toward

the sun
by more than a few degrees.  So the added "slopeshift"

will
reduce image saturation at the slight expense of giving lower

signal:noise
in the darkest areas (rock, water, and shadow

areas).
 Please note that for many non-GLIMS images (e.g.,

Global
Map images), gains are set for rock targets, and we have

no
control over that (such that snow and ice areas are usually

saturated
no matter what the slope).

We are
incorporating default values of the slopeshift  of -15

degrees,
which means that equatorward slopes of at least 15

degrees
will remain unsaturated.  In
practice, for the majority of

images
only equator-facing slopes steeper than 20 or 25 degrees

(and
even greater at low latitudes) will be saturated; this

compares
to standard GLIMS-mode images which saturate with

fresh
powdered snow surfaces if they slope sunward more than a

typical
6 degrees or so, which can be 30% of the accumulation

zone in
rough terrain.   For DEM
production and studies of the

accumulation
zone, the -15-degree slopeshift value will greatly

improve
image quality.

The
exceptions are in Greenland, the Canadian Arctic islands, and

Antarctic
Peninsula, where most of the glacier area is low-sloping

large
outlet glaciers, ice shelves, or otherwise have small areas

that
slope more than a few degrees.  In these areas the default

slopeshift
value is 0 degrees, meaning that the gains are

calculated
just as they have been for the normal GLIMS STARs

(based
on the central latitude of a polygon and the middle date

of the
imaging season).

The
requesters of the individual GLIMS+ STARs may email Greg

Leonard
(gleonard at email.arizona.edu) with any adjustments you want

the
slopeshift values for your GLIMS+ requests.  For example, if you have

been happy with GLIMS gain settings and
don't care about some

saturation
in the snowy areas (for instance, if you're studying mainly

debris-covered areas and glacier lakes), then maybe you
would prefer a 0 slopeshift value.  In exceptional case involving the most
extreme rugged and snowy topography, you may wish larger slopeshift values than
15 degrees.  In Greenland, if
occasional slight image saturation has been a problem, we can incorporate a
small slopeshift of -5 or -10 degrees.

After one season of Northern Hemisphere imaging (by
northern fall), we will review our results and see whether regular GLIMS
imaging should be modified to include finite slope-shifts such as these, or
whether we want to retain standard GLIMS-mode gains (with no slopeshift).  This can be done on a region-by-region
basis.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kargel